Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Peter Felts <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/13 17:07:58 UTC

Help: External (non OfBiz) Oracle integration/Import best practices?

OfBiz community:

I want to ask you all a best-practices question: putting aside my knowledge limitations of OfBiz and Oracle, what would be the best way to integrate my OfBiz applications with a separate Oracle data warehouse? Let me provide a little background: I am developing my own OfBiz application that handles customer orders. This application will serve as a tool to address the limitations of our current CRM software. The CRM we use is not extensible nor is it open, so the ability to add my own module is out of the question. The good news is that I have access to a data warehouse through Oracle which gives me access to all my company's data.

What I want to do is create an application what will query my company's customer database and product database. Do you think that I should run direct queries against the data warehouse, or should I create some type of automated import to import the data warehouse data into custom OfBiz entities daily?

Any advise you can provide as to the direction I should look will be very appreciated.

Re: Help: External (non OfBiz) Oracle integration/Import best practices?

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
I've done something similar to that here where I work. We don't use
Oracle however. We have legacy applications whose data needs to be
accessed from OFBiz.

The approach I took was to use the entity engine to access the external
data. I created entity definitions for the external database, then added
the external database to entityengine.xml.

A Google search should provide additional details. One detail that must
be mentioned though - put no-auto-stamp="true" in the external table
entity definitions.

-Adrian