Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Hung Phan <hp...@alatron.com> on 2002/09/05 18:45:14 UTC

how to reply to an email with different types of message?

> Hi all,
>
> I am still trying to play around with James and with my limited
> knowledge, I don't have an answer for this one yet.   Hopefully
> somebody
> can give me a few pointers.  Thanks in advance.
>
> This is the problem I have:
> A user receives an email sent by James.  The user wants to reply with
> different types of messages, depending on a situation.  For ex: If the
> user likes the product,
> he can tell it in the reply; or if he needs more info, he can tell it
> in the reply too.
> So can he just type the message in the reply's body and a mailet class
> retrieves the message?  The problem is the user can type different
> messages for the same
> thing.  For ex: to indicate that he/she likes the product, the message
> can be "I like it" or "love it".  So it's hard to handle through Java
> API.  To restrict this, the user
> can type only "I like it" in the body. But the user can still misspell
> it!
> Is this a good way or there is a better way to do this.
>
> Thanks a lot,
	 --hung

RE: how to reply to an email with different types of message?

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Phan,
To really do this you need access to natural language technology, I don't
know of any Open Source projects, but I do know that there is the technology
out there which can match semantic meanings, without doing a pattern match
on words.

It may also be possible to train a neural net to recognise many common
different ways of expressing the same meaning as being a match, and even to
score how closely they match.

This is a bit OT for James though, James would really only provide you with
a platform to apply these technologies to email processing.
d.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Send them to a web page with a form, or embed a form in HTML mail, depending
upon your audience.  The form can them explicitly indicate the options.

	--- Noel

> I am still trying to play around with James and with my limited
> knowledge, I don't have an answer for this one yet.   Hopefully
> somebody
> can give me a few pointers.  Thanks in advance.
>
> This is the problem I have:
> A user receives an email sent by James.  The user wants to reply with
> different types of messages, depending on a situation.  For ex: If the
> user likes the product,
> he can tell it in the reply; or if he needs more info, he can tell it
> in the reply too.
> So can he just type the message in the reply's body and a mailet class
> retrieves the message?  The problem is the user can type different
> messages for the same
> thing.  For ex: to indicate that he/she likes the product, the message
> can be "I like it" or "love it".  So it's hard to handle through Java
> API.  To restrict this, the user
> can type only "I like it" in the body. But the user can still misspell
> it!
> Is this a good way or there is a better way to do this.
>
> Thanks a lot,
	 --hung