Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Booth <tb...@ceh.ac.uk> on 2007/06/22 15:51:12 UTC

Allowing users to deploy their own webapps within their home directories

Hi,

I don't know if this is possible, but I hope the list can give me an
answer.

I want to setup tomcat such that users can have webapps in their home
directories.  Now, I've managed to figure out how to get tomcat to do
this for something like ~/public_html (in fact I've set it up for
~/tomcat as the public html is served by apache). During the process of
finding this out, I realised that each user can only have one webapp
i.e. the ~/tomcat dir is the docBase directory. Is there any way that
tomcat can be setup such that ~/tomcat is the appBase dir, so a user can
have: ~/tomcat/webapp1 ~/tomcat/webapp2 etc without explicitly
specifying these directories in the config files?

Many thanks in advance,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tb...@ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

RE: Allowing users to deploy their own webapps within their homedirectories

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Tim Booth [mailto:tbooth@ceh.ac.uk]
> Subject: Allowing users to deploy their own webapps within
> their homedirectories
>
> Is there any way that tomcat can be setup such that
> ~/tomcat is the appBase dir, so a user can have:
> ~/tomcat/webapp1 ~/tomcat/webapp2 etc without explicitly
> specifying these directories in the config files?

You could set up a virtual <Host> for each user, thereby giving each one
his/her own appBase.  This is easily done statically, but adding <Host>
elements on the fly is a bit trickier.  The admin app of prior Tomcat
levels could accomplish this, but it has not yet been made available
with Tomcat 6.  If you need to create <Host> elements dynamically, you'd
need a bit of code to insert them into the Catalina container while
Tomcat is running.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.