Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Marek, Tomas" <Ma...@gedas.cz> on 2002/06/10 09:24:16 UTC

Strarting-up Error Message

Guys,

when starting Tomcat 4.03, I get the following message in the terminal
window:

Catalina.start: LifecycleException:  null.open:  java.net.BindException:
Address
 already in use: JVM_Bind:80
LifecycleException:  null.open:  java.net.BindException: Address already in
use:
 JVM_Bind:80
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConne
ctor.java:1130)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
ava:454)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
a:553)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)
----- Root Cause -----
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:80
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.open(HttpConnector.j
ava:950)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(HttpConne
ctor.java:1128)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.j
ava:454)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.jav
a:553)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:780)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:681)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:179)
        at
java:39)
        at
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:243)

However, it seems the server works fine (I tried some servlets). The
possible culprit could be config file server.XML in install_dir/conf path. I
did only 2 changes in it, as suggested in M. Hall's book:
!. Changed the default port 8080 to 80
2. Added element <DefaultContext reloadable="true"/> to ensure automatic
reloading.

So, do you have any idea, what could be wrong?

Thanks for your help.
Tom

JAVA BEAN SESSION REMOVAL

Posted by Chris Shen <em...@hotmail.com>.
hey guys, i am just wondering if there is a way to remove a java bean
session like how we can remove a session variable.

Chris

Re: AW: Strarting-up Error Message

Posted by matt dilley <ma...@coins.net>.
did you start tomcat from the root user?
If the server port is changed to 80, you have to make sure that you
start the process from root, as that is the only user that is allowed to
access that port

Matt