Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/30 02:38:36 UTC

Anyone can be a shepherd

Hi all,

Just wondering.  On the incubator site, we say that anyone can be a
shepherd.  I don't believe this is actually true, as we say that the
shepherd has to add themselves to shepherds.json, which requires write
access to the incubator site.  This implies that the person is in the
incubator group.

Not sure if there's a better way to describe who can be a shepherd based on
this requirement.

John

Re: Anyone can be a shepherd

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 6:29 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> FWIW: I really believe anybody can be a shepherd.
>
> I don't think the mechanical issue should prevent folks
> from volunteering. In fact, I don't even think this is much
> of an issue at all.
>
> As I see the process:
>     1. volunteer on general@ to be a shepherd
>     2. somebody from IPMC adds you
>     3. you get assigned shepherding duties
> Done!
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

Maybe we can formalize #2 a little bit more?  This is based on a new
shepherd I was helping get setup in the JSON file. Or maybe we can
just add the instructions to the page (edit the file
content/shepherds.json, add yourself..).

John

Re: Anyone can be a shepherd

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.