Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2017/11/16 23:48:16 UTC

Re: Moving 2.0 forward

hbase-2.0.0-beta-1 update (Reminder, beta-1 is where we finish last
remaining features and apply final polish to API. There will be a beta-2
but it is about upgrade/rolling-upgrade and bug fixes ONLY).

Myself and Mr. Drob did a pass over the outstanding hbase-2.0.0-beta-1 list
this morning. See here [1].

There are about ~12 issues in progress with most of these about to land.
There are 37 TODO. Many of these are tests we need to run, some are related
to the backup/restore, but a good few are meaty w/o assignees.

The awkward outstanding ones as I see it are the below:

HBASE-18946 Stochastic load balancer assigns replica regions to the same RS
HBASE-17204 Make L2 off heap cache default ON
HBASE-19112 Suspect methods on Cell to be deprecated
HBASE-19147 All branch-2 unit tests pass

We need to make progress on the above or punt on them (can't punt on the
last one though).

Any ideas on what configs we should update in hbase2? Dump ideas into:
HBASE-19148 Edit of default configuration

Still hoping for an early December beta-1 RC. beta-2 hopefully will be
close behind.

Comments? Thoughts?

Thanks all,

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/HBASE/versions/12340861

Re: Moving 2.0 forward

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
In another thread in this list I flag the coming 2.0.0-beta-2. Look for an
RC in the next day or so.

After 2.0.0-beta-2 makes it out, I'll cut branch-2.0. Soon after will come
our first hbase-2.0.0 release candidate. Expect this within a week or so
after beta-2 after remaining blockers are addressed (At this stage,
blockers are mostly documentation). Scream if there is something that has
to make 2.0.0 that I may have missed, but at this point, only critical
bug-fixes or compatibility breakages will be entertained.

I just did a pass over the issues filed against hbase-2.0.0. I did a pretty
brutal edit, sparse on commentary mostly because the count of issues
against 2.0.0 was high. There were a fair amount filed against '2.0.0' just
because 2.0.0 used to be thought of as the end of the rainbow, an event
that was way off on the horizon that would never arrive[1]. I unscheduled
the bulk of these. Reschedule against 2.0.0 if I got it wrong.  A good
bunch were great ideas almost- or half-done or never started (HBASE-14055
RegionServer Refactor, HBASE-15531 Favored Nodes, Andy's security
improvements, etc.). These were also unscheduled. Others that were really
old without recent updates I resolved. A few had been realized via other
channels.

Here is the current list [2]. Help on blockers would be much appreciated.

Your 2.0.0RM

P.S.No scale testing, perf compare, compatibility, or exercise of new
features (at least to my knowledge) has been done. We could do with some
exercise along any of these dimensions if any of you have a few spare
cycles. Thanks.

1. hbase-2.0.0 still has this smell to it, but we do our best.
2.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/HBASE/versions/12327188#release-report-tab-body

>>> 2. https://builds.apache.org/job/HBASE-Find-Flaky-Tests/last

Re: Moving 2.0 forward

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Moving 2.0 forward

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
Update. See below.

Re: Moving 2.0 forward

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: Moving 2.0 forward

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 8:08 PM, ramkrishna vasudevan <

> HBASE-18946 Stochastic load balancer assigns replica regions to the same RS
>
> Am on this today and probably will put up another patch.
>
> Regards
> Ram
>
> Thanks Ram,
St.Ack