Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/30 08:34:35 UTC

Release train, soon...

Hi all !

releases of the LDAP API and ApacheDS are slowly getting ready. We have
had to deal with various challenges !

- First, the LDAP API has been heavily refactored, for better
performance. The API itself will not change, this is the internal that
are changing.

- We have had to wait for a MINA 2.1 release, which took quite some
time, and I'd like to go with a MINA 2.1.1 that is going to be released
somewhere next week: it simplifies greatly the way we deal with sent
messages, and we also have some SSL improvements in this coming reelease.

- Once the LDAP API is released, we can move with a ApacheDS realase.
This time, it will contain some changes in the way we handle keystores,
support for transactions, and many other smaller improvements.

- In the same spirit, Fortress will benefit from the LDAP API and
ApacheDS release. It's a bit of work (not too much), but that would lead
to faster tests: the idea is to use transactions to improve the initial
data injections, which is quite costly.

- Then will come Studio. I think Stefan has worked on migrating it to
the latest Eclipse version, which is becoming quite challenging, due to
the newest release strategy (a new version every 3 months). We also have
some fixes in the UI (connection testing, for instance)

That is going to be a pretty intense spring !

More to come soon.

Re: Release train, soon...

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 3/30/19 9:34 AM, Emmanuel Lécharny wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> releases of the LDAP API and ApacheDS are slowly getting ready. We have
> had to deal with various challenges !
>
> - First, the LDAP API has been heavily refactored, for better
> performance. The API itself will not change, this is the internal that
> are changing.
>
> - We have had to wait for a MINA 2.1 release, which took quite some
> time, and I'd like to go with a MINA 2.1.1 that is going to be released
> somewhere next week: it simplifies greatly the way we deal with sent
> messages, and we also have some SSL improvements in this coming reelease.
>
> - Once the LDAP API is released, we can move with a ApacheDS realase.
> This time, it will contain some changes in the way we handle keystores,
> support for transactions, and many other smaller improvements.

One blocking issue is ehcache 3 which is not working with OSGi and Java
11. I started to check if replacement with Caffeine would work.