Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Weston M. Price" <we...@yahoo.com> on 2003/08/13 22:09:18 UTC

New Deployment Verifier Project

Hello,
	Just wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding the removal of the Verifier
engine from Geronimo and creating a seperate Jakarta project focusing only on
the verification of J2EE based archives (app server independent). As as been
frequently discussed on this list, verification is not addressed directly by
the deployment specification and can very well exist as a seperate component
that can be used independently of a particular application server. Our
primary concern would be, of course, a rigorous evaluation of a J2EE archive
against a particular specification standard.
	This seperation would allow for a nice distinction between the
DeploymentManager (as dictated by the specification) and a module that could
provide enchanced services to J2EE developers and administrators.

Let me know what you guys think. If it's a go, we can all plan accordingly.

Regards,

Weston Price

Re: New Deployment Verifier Project

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
>> Hello,
>> 	Just wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding the removal of the
>> Verifier
>> engine from Geronimo and creating a seperate Jakarta project focusing
>> only on
>> the verification of J2EE based archives (app server independent).
>
> -1.
>
> IMHO it should just be another module (Maven project) inside Geronimo
> - part of the same community but usable by itself. Geronimo should be
> useable as a whole J2EE stack or the parts should be useable by
> themselves too.

-1

Agreed.  This should go into Geronimo.  Perhaps at a *much* later date
if there is a better place for it to live we can evaluate it then.

> We can still keep things modular & manage dependencies nicely within
> the Geronimo project - we've already got a modular build. So Verifier
> would have its own Maven build. e.g.
>
> geronimo/
> 	modules/
> 		verifier/
> 			src/
> 				java/
> 				test/
>
> etc.
>
> We've already 3 modules in CVS to give you the idea.

A minor note, that the package for this module should be
org.apache.geronimo.verifier, I should update the standards page with
this... but still have like 80 more emails to dig through ;-)

--jason

RE: New Deployment Verifier Project

Posted by Srihari S <sr...@blr.pin.philips.com>.
Glad that u stressed on this:
"Geronimo should be useable as a whole J2EE stack or the parts should be
useable by themselves too."

But it is very important that the JSR88 team and the verification team work
closely on this and come to
some common understanding on how the JSR88 team will be using output of the
verification team.
There was some discussion earlier which suggested that what the verifier
team wanted to achieve could
be realized with java.util.jar packages etc. So all this led to such a
thinking i guess.

Nevertheless the since u have stressed on a vital point I have no issues in
the verifer remaining in the
Geronimo mainstream. But again i request that the two team work together on
this.

regards
Hari

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 09:09  pm, Weston M. Price wrote:

> Hello,
> 	Just wanted to get everyone's opinion regarding the removal of the
> Verifier
> engine from Geronimo and creating a seperate Jakarta project focusing
> only on
> the verification of J2EE based archives (app server independent).

-1.

IMHO it should just be another module (Maven project) inside Geronimo -
part of the same community but usable by itself. Geronimo should be
useable as a whole J2EE stack or the parts should be useable by
themselves too.

> As as been
> frequently discussed on this list, verification is not addressed
> directly by
> the deployment specification and can very well exist as a seperate
> component
> that can be used independently of a particular application server. Our
> primary concern would be, of course, a rigorous evaluation of a J2EE
> archive
> against a particular specification standard.
> 	This seperation would allow for a nice distinction between the
> DeploymentManager (as dictated by the specification) and a module that
> could
> provide enchanced services to J2EE developers and administrators.
>
> Let me know what you guys think. If it's a go, we can all plan
> accordingly.

We can still keep things modular & manage dependencies nicely within
the Geronimo project - we've already got a modular build. So Verifier
would have its own Maven build. e.g.

geronimo/
	modules/
		verifier/
			src/
				java/
				test/

etc.

We've already 3 modules in CVS to give you the idea.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: New Deployment Verifier Project