Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Yiling Lu <yi...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/29 06:37:03 UTC

compiling javahl problem

I'm trying to compile the javahl bindings from subversion 1.1.2 on
Linux (Mandrake distribution).

The reasion I want to have the javahl bingdings is that I installed
latest subclipse on Eclipse 3.0.1, though subclipse installed
properly, it requires javahl from subversion to run.

Here is what I did to build javahl binding from subversion source:

1. Download the latest source code tar ball from subversion:
subversion-1.1.2.tar.gz
2. tar xzvf subversion-1.1.2.tar.gz
3. cd subversion-1.1.2
4. ./autogen.sh
5. ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
6. make
7. cd subversion/bindings/java/javahl
8. aclocal-1.7

problem stopped me at this step, I got: aclocal: 'configure.ac' or
'configure.in' is required.

Could you please kindly help me out here?

Here is what I have checked:

1. I am using java 1.4.2_04, jdk is on the path.
2. I have aclocal-16, aclocal-1.7, aclocal-1.8 installed

Thank you in advance.

//Y

Re: compiling javahl problem

Posted by Kevin Williams <ke...@bantamtech.com>.
Actually, Subclipse allows you to use javahl OR the command-line client.
The javahl connector is faster, but when compiling javahl is a problem
(read: most of the time) there is another option for Eclipse.

Posted by Thomas Watz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Mark Phippard wrote:
[...]
> All that being said, Ben Reser is the maintainer of the Mandrake packages,
> I would check to see if he doesn't just have a Subversion package for
> Mandrake that includes JavaHL.  If he doesn't, then perhaps he could be
> persuaded to start including it in his packages for Mandrake.

@Ben

I would agree ;-)

Why not starting with adding the javahl bindings with your packages. I tried
to compile it for myself too, but did not succeed. You should consider to
add it, please.

Thank you in advance

Thomas

Re: compiling javahl problem

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
Yiling Lu <yi...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/29/2004 01:37:03 AM:

> I'm trying to compile the javahl bindings from subversion 1.1.2 on
> Linux (Mandrake distribution).
>
> The reasion I want to have the javahl bingdings is that I installed
> latest subclipse on Eclipse 3.0.1, though subclipse installed
> properly, it requires javahl from subversion to run.
>
> Here is what I did to build javahl binding from subversion source:
>
> 1. Download the latest source code tar ball from subversion:
> subversion-1.1.2.tar.gz
> 2. tar xzvf subversion-1.1.2.tar.gz
> 3. cd subversion-1.1.2
> 4. ./autogen.sh
> 5. ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode
> 6. make
> 7. cd subversion/bindings/java/javahl
> 8. aclocal-1.7
>
> problem stopped me at this step, I got: aclocal: 'configure.ac' or
> 'configure.in' is required.
>
> Could you please kindly help me out here?
>
> Here is what I have checked:
>
> 1. I am using java 1.4.2_04, jdk is on the path.
> 2. I have aclocal-16, aclocal-1.7, aclocal-1.8 installed

Where did you come up with those steps?  I have never seen some of those
listed before.

Usually you just do configure followed by make, and then make install.
However, you have missed some steps.

For example, to build JavaHL you have to explicitly do this.  JavaHL is
not built or installed as part of the standard make steps:

./make javahl
./make install-javahl

In some cases, you will also have to pass some switches to configure to
tell it where Java is located.  If you Google on "building JavaHL" you
will find some posts with references to that.

All that being said, Ben Reser is the maintainer of the Mandrake packages,
I would check to see if he doesn't just have a Subversion package for
Mandrake that includes JavaHL.  If he doesn't, then perhaps he could be
persuaded to start including it in his packages for Mandrake.

Check:  http://mirror.brain.org/linux/breser/mandrake/

Mark