Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Swamynathan Sivasubramaniyan (Swamy)" <ss...@qwest.net> on 2002/04/25 22:41:31 UTC

Most current version with SSL

Hi,
  I would appreciate if someone could tell me the most current & stable
version of Apache that can be used to run a SSL site.
After reading the documentation and FAQ, I understand that there are more
than one Apache SSL solution. modSSL, ApacheSSL,.... Am I correct? If so
which is the best combination for a site that:
OS - Windows 2000 server
Application Server - WebSphere 4.0
?

Thanks,
Swamy

Re: Most current version with SSL

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
"Swamynathan Sivasubramaniyan (Swamy)" wrote:

> Hi,
>   I would appreciate if someone could tell me the most current & stable
> version of Apache that can be used to run a SSL site.
> After reading the documentation and FAQ, I understand that there are more
> than one Apache SSL solution. modSSL, ApacheSSL,.... Am I correct? If so
> which is the best combination for a site that:
> OS - Windows 2000 server
> Application Server - WebSphere 4.0

You are correct - there are two solutions:

Apache-SSL: (http://www.apache-ssl.org/) Monolithic apache version with
SSL support built in (although the website now says it can be run as a
DSO module...) http://www.modssl.org/

mod_ssl: (http://www.modssl.org/) Extension to the apache API plus an
apache module which can be compiled in or dynamically linked.

I have no opinion about the technical merits/demerits of either approach
- they are both well-engineered solutions and use the same OpenSSL
library functions. Both currently support apache 1.3.24 which is the
latest apache 1.3.XX distro. Although, I have to say that mod_ssl is
usually faster to follow an apache upgrade. Visit the websites and check
them out - maybe join both mailing-lists and quiz the communities - then
decide which suits you best.

Regarding the OS - AFAIK, both are available only as tarballs so you
have to compile with source. I've no idea how you install them on
windows...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

Re: Most current version with SSL

Posted by Subscribed <su...@myarchive.biz>.
You havent? but it works on 3 other systems?
What error were you getting? Was it the same as mine?

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@home.ro>.
Is there a binary kit on apache.org for Apache 2.0.35 for Win 2k?

Teddy,
orasnita@home.ro

Posted by Dwayne Miller <dm...@espgroup.net>.