Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by EDMONDO SENA <ed...@gmail.com> on 2020/05/28 11:36:02 UTC

DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

Hi Everybody,

I've the following file propertes for Log4j2:

appender.A1.type = RollingFile
appender.A1.name = A1
appender.A1.fileName = Upgrade.log
appender.A1.append = true
appender.A1.filePattern = Upgrade.log.%i
appender.A1.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.A1.layout.pattern = %d %-5p  %3x - %m  -  %l %n
appender.A1.policies.type = Policies
appender.A1.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.A1.policies.size.size = 1KB
appender.A1.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
appender.A1.strategy.max = 0
appender.A1.strategy.fileIndex = 1

but when the application was launched the following error is shown:
main ERROR Maximum window size must be greater than the minimum windows size. Set to 7

Obviously if the max variable is set to 1 no problem.
Is possible to have no Rolling file using DefaultRolloverStrategy without this error?

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.

//Edmondo.

Re: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
The min size is 1 because users want the file to roll and have some archives left around. In all the time I have been involved with Log4j you are the first person to ever ask for a file that essentially clears periodically.  I would imagine that this is because, depending on what you are doing, it is likely that the log events captured shortly before the rollover will forever be lost.

That said, if that is what you want then configure a delete action to delete all archive files on each rollover.

Ralph

Re: AW: DefaultRolloverStrategy max=0 - Problem?

Posted by EDMONDO SENA <ed...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Groll, Andreas" <AR...@HUD.DE>.

Posted by EDMONDO SENA <ed...@gmail.com>.
When has a specific size is reached.