Posted to user@commons.apache.org by He...@f-it.de on 2004/05/28 11:46:24 UTC

[NET FTPClient] MalformedPatternException when trying to listFile s()

Hello All,

I am having problems with the FTPClient class of commons.net (1.2.1). When I
do

FTPFile[] f = ftpClient.listFiles(filename);

a runtime exception is thrown (the file really exists on the server, the ftp
connection is working correctly).

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
org/apache/oro/text/regex/MalformedPatternException
	at
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.parser.DefaultFTPFileEntryParserFactory.createUni
xFTPEntryParser(DefaultFTPFileEntryParserFactory.java:121)
	at
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.parser.DefaultFTPFileEntryParserFactory.createFil
eEntryParser(DefaultFTPFileEntryParserFactory.java:84)
	at
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient.initiateListParsing(FTPClient.java:2306
)
	at
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient.listFiles(FTPClient.java:2055)
	at
org.apache.commons.net.ftp.FTPClient.listFiles(FTPClient.java:2106)
	at
de.freudenberg.it.ssts.liet.FTPConnection.getFileSize(FTPConnection.java:80)
	at
de.freudenberg.it.ssts.liet.ProcessingThread.processOutFile(ProcessingThread
.java:184)
	at
de.freudenberg.it.ssts.liet.ProcessingThread.run(ProcessingThread.java:131)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

I have managed to trace this down as follows: Obviously, a
UnixFTPEntryParser is created (the server is identified as "UNIX Type: L8
Version: BSD-44"). On this creation, a RegexFTPFileEntryParserImpl is
created with a regex pattern given in the libraries source code. A
Perl5Matcher and a Perl5Compiler() are created and the regex pattern is used
to compile().

And now things are getting weird:
Problem 1: compile() throws a MalformedPatternException in case the regex
pattern is not correct. Here, compile() tries to throw it, so there seems to
be something wrong with the pattern. Is this a known issue?
Or am I really the first one to have this problem? Or have I simply done
something wrong?

Problem 2: compile() does not even manage to throw this exception, so there
must be some library files missing. I am a bit at a loss with this.

Can anybody help?

Hermann

Re: [NET FTPClient] MalformedPatternException when trying to listFile s()

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
A few questions:

Do you have the jakarta oro jar in your classpath?
What is the host type that the ftp server is on ( nt, unix, etc )?