Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org> on 2004/12/21 09:13:48 UTC

RepositorySelector.detachRepository, jetty-plus, gump and PatternLayout.test14

The most dreaded nightmare of a new committer is breaking the build.  I
don't think that I have (and if so only log4j-tests), but I have been
having intermittent problems with PatternLayoutTest.test14 and was
trying to figure out if it was just me.

I was checking Gump and it looks like that log4j-tests haven't been
running since August, see
http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/logging-log4j/log4j-tests/
index.html.

At least one reason for this failure is because jetty-plus no longer
builds
(http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jetty/jetty-plus/index.html)
which appears to be due to detachRepository being added to the
RepositorySelector interface back on 30 March 2004.  Don't know why we
were able to build in August.

Was the change to the RepositorySelector an intentional break of
earlier implementations of the interface?

p.s. when PatternLayoutTest.test14 fails for me, the output file is
empty (the witness file isn't).  I think it is likely a configuration
problem, but I have seen it pass then fail on the same checkout.

Re: RepositorySelector.detachRepository, jetty-plus, gump and PatternLayout.test14

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 09:13 AM 12/21/2004, Curt Arnold wrote:
>The most dreaded nightmare of a new committer is breaking the build.  I
>don't think that I have (and if so only log4j-tests), but I have been
>having intermittent problems with PatternLayoutTest.test14 and was
>trying to figure out if it was just me.

PatternLayout.14 seems to be special in two respects. First, it contains
spaces for the value of
the "log4j.appender.testAppender.File" property.

The line is

log4j.appender.testAppender.File=       output/temp\s\s

where \s represents the space character.

The conversion pattern in PatternLayout.14 uses the %counter conversion
word which is defined by MyPatternLayout. Its source code can be found
under examples/src/pattern/MyPatternLayout.java.

So the problem is probably due to a dependency with examples/ that Jake has
already complained about.

--
Ceki Gülcü

   The complete log4j manual: http://qos.ch/log4j/

Re: RepositorySelector.detachRepository, jetty-plus, gump and PatternLayout.test14

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
The dependency on jetty for the log4j GUMP project descriptor has been
removed. This should allow log4j-tests to proceed.

I still don't see how building jetty could fail to build do to a change in
log4j.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Dec 22, 2004, at 2:54 PM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Your observation about log4j-tests failing due to the addition of
> detachRepository method in RepositorySelector is news to me. Where
> does that come form?

Jetty appear to be failing to compile since it has a class that
implements RepositorySelector but doesn't implement detachRepository.
Since jetty fails to compile, log4j-test is never attempted.

> The detachRepository method in RepositorySelector ensures that
> repositories can be recycled as a web-app is recycled, so it is of
> paramount importance.

Can we suggest that Jetty implement detachRepository.  If they run
against a 1.2 log4j, the method will never get called.

Re: RepositorySelector.detachRepository, jetty-plus, gump and PatternLayout.test14

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.