Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> on 2006/04/12 22:54:03 UTC

Sometimes, the "incubator" logo appears on the Derby web site pages

This is not a big deal, but I was a bit surprised to see the
"incubator" logo still appearing in a few places on the Derby
web site.

Here's what I did:

1) Went to http://db.apache.org/derby
2) In the Search box on the left hand side of the page, just
    below the "quick links" section, I typed it IDENTITY_VAL_LOCAL
    and hit the Search button
3) This took me to a Google page with results that looked good,
    so I clicked on the second one, which was:
    http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/reference/sqlj82.html

On that last page, for me at least, there is an "incubator"
logo at the top of the page, instead of the Derby Black Hat logo
that I was expecting to see.

thanks,

bryan

Re: [web] Sometimes, the "incubator" logo appears on the Derby web site pages

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> I updated the mini website for the 10.0 docs at

I think this is very nice and is a great way to handle these pages.

Thanks for taking the time and attention to detail on this. The web
site is really looking nice these days!

bryan

[web] Sometimes, the "incubator" logo appears on the Derby web site pages

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
I updated the mini website for the 10.0 docs at
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/ based on feedback Bryan Pendleton
posted [1] (thanks, Bryan!).

To see the changes you probably need to reload pages in your browser.
Here's a summary of the changes:

1) Synced the colors up with the main Derby web site at db.apache.org/derby.
2) Put the Derby hat logo in place.
3) Replaced the Incubator logo with info on where to find current docs.
4) Updated the web_site.html.

In the thread started by [1] I mentioned putting a redirect in place so
that URL's such as
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/reference/sqlj82.html would be
redirected to
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/manuals/reference/sqlj82.html,
making more visible the fact that these are older docs.

In fact, I'm not sure how much people pay attention to the URL, so I
think the notice I put in place will be more effective. Also, the ASF
guidelines at http://www.apache.org/dev/project-site.html mention the
hit of an .htaccess, so I'd rather leave things the way they are now
(which is a symbolic link on people.apache.org).

Lastly, I haven't done this yet but will look into doing a robots.txt
that excludes the 10.0 doc set so that searches in the future won't
include these older pages in the results.

Please post any problems you spot.

regards,

-jean

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/db-derby-dev/200604.mbox/%3c443D68EB.2050600@amberpoint.com%3e

Re: Sometimes, the "incubator" logo appears on the Derby web site pages

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> The other thing that puzzles me is, why is the "search" box searching
> all of the different versions of the doc. Is it not sufficient simply
> to have the search box search the current version of the doc?
>
> If people really wanted to have a search tool which searched the older
> version of the doc, maybe there could be an "advanced search" area
> somewhere on the site?

The search box is generated by Forrest for the site as a whole and can't
be restricted to just one portion of it. I included an FAQ that shows
how to search just the 10.1 docs using google (which is what gets used
by the search box on the web site):

   http://db.apache.org/derby/faq.html#site_search

I might be able to do a web thing to exclude the 10.0 docs from
searches. --That would be good and I'll look into it.

thanks for the feedback,

 -jean

Re: Sometimes, the "incubator" logo appears on the Derby web site pages

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com>.
Thanks a lot for considering my feedback, Jean!

> I think I can put a redirect in place that will at least make it
> apparent in the URL these are 10.0 docs.

That would have helped me be less confused.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
> This is not a big deal, but I was a bit surprised to see the
> "incubator" logo still appearing in a few places on the Derby
> web site.
>    http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/reference/sqlj82.html
>
> On that last page, for me at least, there is an "incubator"
> logo at the top of the page, instead of the Derby Black Hat logo
> that I was expecting to see.

Good catch, Bryan, thanks!

It isn't readily apparent, but those are 10.0 docs -- and 10.0 is an
incubator release. In a nutshell, during those early days the docs were
part of the derby web site, stored as forrest source. I moved the 10.0
docs to http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.0/ , but put a symbolic link
in place on the web site to reduce broken urls. Unfortunately, there's
no correspondence between the old docs and the DITA files of 10.1 and
later, so we can't redirect to a more current version of that info.

I think I can put a redirect in place that will at least make it
apparent in the URL these are 10.0 docs.

This was an incubator release, so it doesn't seem right to leave an
impression that it's not. How about something like this?

 - replace the incubator logo with this notice
"This documentation is part of the Apache Derby 10.0 Incubator release.
Please visit the main site for more current documentation in the
official releases."
 - replace the Derby in the masthead with the actual logo

suggestions?

thanks,

-jean