Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org> on 2004/08/06 01:47:33 UTC

RDBMS preferences

If I were to install an RDBMS on Brutus, that can be spoken to by Python,
any preferences? MySQL? Firebird? Others? I'm feeling an itch to
experiement with this, and I fancy going w/ Firebird 'cos somebody I
respect said they prefered it. Any preferences?

regards

Adam
--
Have you Gump'ed your code today?
http://gump.apache.org

Re: RDBMS preferences

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@apache.org>.
It seems concensus is MySQL, which is good 'cos I've not found portable DB API V2 drivers for others.

regards

Adam

Re: RDBMS preferences

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> If I were to install an RDBMS on Brutus, that can be spoken to by
> Python, any preferences? MySQL? Firebird? Others? I'm feeling an itch to
> experiement with this, and I fancy going w/ Firebird 'cos somebody I
> respect said they prefered it. Any preferences?

let's keep it simple for everybody: mysql is by far the most used DB by
open source people, so it's probably going to make life easier to find
volunteers to help if needed.

--
Stefano.

Re: RDBMS preferences

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi Adam,

I do not know whether Python has "Python Data Objects" ?
(actually, a quick search in Google says there is something like that).
I would go for Python Data Objects + an ODBMS or RDBMS
but in any case try to avoid mapping object to relational in the code.

Also congratulations for all you are doing to improve gump !

Cheers,

Antoine

Re: RDBMS preferences

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> If I were to install an RDBMS on Brutus, that can be spoken to by
> Python, any preferences? MySQL? Firebird? Others? I'm feeling an itch to
> experiement with this, and I fancy going w/ Firebird 'cos somebody I
> respect said they prefered it. Any preferences?

I have used MySQL with Python without problems. Most projects use MySQL
as a reference (maybe because it's more feature limited and thus
baseline? ;-) and OS hosting sites usually have it.

I'd use MySQL.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: RDBMS preferences

Posted by Scott Sanders <sc...@dotnot.org>.
I have only ever used MySQL, and I have actually used it with Python,
so I know it works.  That being said, I have no preference.  I have
used Interbase (Firebird before open source) in a past life, and I
didn't have problems with it either.  Didn't use it with Python though.

Scott