Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Dirk Bromberg <br...@tzi.de> on 2002/03/13 10:55:57 UTC

Can't Remote Access to Xindice!

Hi,

I've downloaded Xindice RC2. Then after unpacking I've started the server...
When I'm on the same machine i can list the collections with the
commandline:

$>xindice lc -c 134.xxx.xxx.xxx:4080/db

	  addressbook
        system
        test

Total collections: 3
$>

When I'm on an other machine i can't list the collections, why ?

$>xindice lc -c 134.xxx.xxx.xxx:4080/db
ERROR:

$>

When I will access to xindice with the Example1.java from the Examles there
comes the Error:

XML:DB Exception occured 1
vendorCode : 2070

Must I change something at the configfiles to access to xindice form another
machine ????

Thanks

Dirk Bromberg
bromberg@tzi.de

Re: Can't Remote Access to Xindice!

Posted by Brian Blakeley <br...@cogeco.ca>.
Hi Dirk,

Sorry about that last post!  I have switched to eXist ( www.exist-db.org/ )
as it meets my needs in what I think is an easier set-up.

When using the command line I think I always telneted into the server.  With
exist I using the cocoon based set-up provided.

Here is the section from the Xindice manual that might help with your
connection.

Accessing Xindice Remotely

By default Xindice assumes that the client and server are running on the
same machine. In most configurations this will not be the case so it will be
necessary to include the hostname and port of the server where Xindice is
running in your URIs. The port you use is the port that the Xindice HTTP
server is listening on. The port setting is displayed when you start the
server. By default the configuration used is xindice://localhost:4080. To
access the collection /db/addressbook on host xml.apache.org port 4090 the
URI would look something like this
xindice://xml.apache.org:4090/db/addressbook. If you are running the client
and server on the same machine you do not need to specify a host or port.
All examples in this document assume the client and server are on the same
machine.

If you are having problems accessing Xindice remotely this may be the result
of the server publishing an incorrect IP address as part of its CORBA IOR.
The IOR is generated by the ORB using the hostname setting of the server. If
the hostname is set to a fully qualified domain name that can not be
resolved by the client you will not be able to remotely access the server.
To fix this you must insure the host name on the server is resolvable by the
client. To see the setting of the host name on the server you should be able
to type hostname at a command prompt. If the hostname is not a fully
qualified domain name then the ORB will use the IP address of the server
instead of the name and you shouldn't have any problems.

Posted by Dirk Bromberg <br...@tzi.de>.
The call