Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Kevin Thorpe <ke...@pricetrak.com> on 2008/06/05 13:25:17 UTC

Losing $r->user between PerlFixupHandler and PerlLogHandler

Hi, I have just upgraded from Apache1 to Apache2 and I am now having
problems with logging to my database.

I am using AuthCookie and AuthCookieDBI for logging in. AuthCookie sets
$r->user in the PerlFixupHandler.
However reading $r->user in PerlLogHandler doesn't always return the
user set in the previous handler.

Can anyone shed any light on why the RequestRec is losing the user name?

thanks

Re: Losing $r->user between PerlFixupHandler and PerlLogHandler

Posted by Kevin Thorpe <ke...@pricetrak.com>.
Kevin Thorpe wrote:
> Hi, I have just upgraded from Apache1 to Apache2 and I am now having
> problems with logging to my database.
>
> I am using AuthCookie and AuthCookieDBI for logging in. AuthCookie
> sets $r->user in the PerlFixupHandler.
> However reading $r->user in PerlLogHandler doesn't always return the
> user set in the previous handler.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on why the RequestRec is losing the user name?
>
> thanks
Ah, found it! mod_php was destroying the contents of $r->user as it was
trying to do authentication itself. Notes
here about the problem....

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/perl-modperl/200401.mbox/%3C1073863230.2635.19.camel@patience%3E

Re: Losing $r->user between PerlFixupHandler and PerlLogHandler

Posted by Kevin Thorpe <ke...@pricetrak.com>.
Vegard Vesterheim wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:25:17 +0100 Kevin Thorpe <ke...@pricetrak.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi, I have just upgraded from Apache1 to Apache2 and I am now having
>> problems with logging to my database.
>>
>> I am using AuthCookie and AuthCookieDBI for logging in. AuthCookie
>> sets $r->user in the PerlFixupHandler.
>> However reading $r->user in PerlLogHandler doesn't always return the
>> user set in the previous handler.
>>
>> Can anyone shed any light on why the RequestRec is losing the user name?
>>

> I encountered a similar problem some time ago. Have a look at this
> thread, maybe your problem is related:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl&m=119996305532711&w=2

Nope, $r->main and $r->prev are both empty and $r->is_initial_req == 1

now I'm really baffled

Re: Losing $r->user between PerlFixupHandler and PerlLogHandler

Posted by Vegard Vesterheim <ve...@uninett.no>.
On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 12:25:17 +0100 Kevin Thorpe <ke...@pricetrak.com> wrote:

> Hi, I have just upgraded from Apache1 to Apache2 and I am now having
> problems with logging to my database.
>
> I am using AuthCookie and AuthCookieDBI for logging in. AuthCookie
> sets $r->user in the PerlFixupHandler.
> However reading $r->user in PerlLogHandler doesn't always return the
> user set in the previous handler.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on why the RequestRec is losing the user name?

I encountered a similar problem some time ago. Have a look at this
thread, maybe your problem is related:

http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl&m=119996305532711&w=2

 - Vegard V -