Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "shak.shaik" <sh...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/20 23:30:58 UTC

Tomcat is idle when Oracle crashed

We've production environment as follows.
We have two web servers with load balancing capability. We've two Oracle DB
servers and we are using Virtual IP to connect to one of the db servers. our
web server is tomcat 6.0

Our application should up and running even there is no DB connectivity and
it is tested and proved.
Also we use TAF (Transparent Application Failover. if one db server is down,
all db connections has to rout to another db server) as part of its db URL.
But last week, one of our DB server got crashed and from the moment db got
crashed, our website is not reachable.

When I checked the logs, I didn't see any JDBC exceptions or any other
generic exceptions. . Same time I saw the status as "started" for tomcat
service in windows service (Control Panel -> Services).
Our network people argue that there are no issues from their side. Why the
tomcat is Idle and web site is not found in case of DB crash?
Any suggestions or work around will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Tomcat is idle when Oracle crashed

Posted by "shak.shaik" <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dave,

We are using JDBC thin driver. I think there is work around in tomcat called
"ValidationQuery" to make sure connection is not dead (which might cause the
idle stage of tomcat as per various discussion forums) which needs to
configure in  context.xml( in tomcat/conf folder).

But I want to confirm whether TAF is compatible with Thin driver or not. I
remember our DB talked to oracle support and they supported the OCI driver.
but due to other performance issues, we are not looking at OCI driver.

Thanks for your response.

Shakeel.

Posted by David Fisher <df...@jmlafferty.com>.