Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> on 2009/07/28 10:45:24 UTC

Re: remember when each project report is due

Clearly my chance never came, so let's make it happen now.

The task itself is trivial - send an email to each email address listed
in a file once a month, using a different file for each of a three month
rotation cycle.

Now, the questions are:

 1. What date do we send the email out on?
 2. Do we, and if so when do we, send reminder emails?
 3. What do the emails say?
 4. What date do we state in the below email?

Attempt to answer 3 is:

Dear <PODLING>-dev,

Your latest report to the Apache Board is required by XX/XX/XXXX. Please
ensure it is posted to http://incubator.apache.org/MonthYYYY, by the end
of that day.

Please ensure you provide a summary of your project at the beginning of
the report and provide an answer to the question "What are the next
steps your project needs to take to move towards graduation". You should
also provide details of any new committers, PPMC members, product
releases and so on, as well as anything else that might seem significant
to you.

Mentors - once the report has been posted to the Incubator Wiki, please
'sign' it to show that you have read the report.

Incubator PMC

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Clearly my chance never came, so let's make it happen now.
>
> The task itself is trivial - send an email to each email address listed
> in a file once a month, using a different file for each of a three month
> rotation cycle.
>
> Now, the questions are:
>
>  1. What date do we send the email out on?

Make it as easy as possible for everyone.
I suggest just send on the first day of the month.

Going by the list at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/
Section 4, that would amount to between 9-14 days to get
their report in.

The tricky part is that someone needs to populate
each monthly wiki page with the current list, to be ready
for the podling reports.
I have been doing it each month, early in the month.
This time Niclas already has it done, ready for next month.

>  2. Do we, and if so when do we, send reminder emails?

I say no. These podlings need to be independent and interested.

>  3. What do the emails say?
>  4. What date do we state in the below email?

Keep it simple, don't provide a date.

They can look at that month's report template, e.g.
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2009
The date and other instructions are stated load and clear.
Also stated at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/

> Attempt to answer 3 is:

> Dear <PODLING>-dev,
>
> Your latest report to the Apache Board is required by XX/XX/XXXX. Please
> ensure it is posted to http://incubator.apache.org/MonthYYYY, by the end
> of that day.
>
> Please ensure you provide a summary of your project at the beginning of
> the report and provide an answer to the question "What are the next
> steps your project needs to take to move towards graduation". You should
> also provide details of any new committers, PPMC members, product
> releases and so on, as well as anything else that might seem significant
> to you.
>
> Mentors - once the report has been posted to the Incubator Wiki, please
> 'sign' it to show that you have read the report.
>
> Incubator PMC

Seems okay. It could be simpler, as everything is aleady stated
at the top of each wiki report page, e.g.
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/August2009

One thing that i would like to have clearly stated, is that this
report is up to each project's group of committers, and should not
be left to the mentors.

-David