Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by albu77 <al...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/14 12:11:00 UTC

Newbie problem with web.xml

I'm starting with Geronimo, install it, started oK
Try the demo as exposed on:
https://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/quick-start-apache-geronimo-for-the-impatient.html#Quickstart-ApacheGeronimofortheimpatient-Startingtheserver

When I want to deploy with
deploy --user system --password manager deploy --inPlace applications

I get an error message:

c:\Apache\Geronimo\bin>deploy --user system --password manager deploy
--inPlace
c:\Apache\Geronimo\applications
Using GERONIMO_HOME:   c:\Apache\Geronimo
Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var\temp
Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
2010-09-14 10:27:33,594 ERROR [DeployTool] Error:
org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: Unable to deploy
applications: E
rror parsing web.xml for .
        error: Unexpected element: CDATA
        Unexpected element: CDATA

        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.CommandDeploy.runCommand(CommandDe
ploy.java:45)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.CommandDistribute.executeOnline(Co
mmandDistribute.java:149)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.CommandDistribute.execute(CommandD
istribute.java:125)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.DeployTool.execute(DeployTool.java
:168)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.main(Ma
inConfigurationBootstrapper.java:45)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.cli.AbstractCLI.executeMain(AbstractCLI.java:65)
        at
org.apache.geronimo.cli.deployer.DeployerCLI.main(DeployerCLI.java:31
)

c:\Apache\Geronimo\bin>

I don't understand I paste the code from the site concerning the two xml
file, even pass them through NotePad++ to avoid bad characters insertion..
Restarted the server after saving the files from the Editor.

Can somebody have a an advise.

Regards

Alain

geronimo-web-xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web-2.0.1">
    <environment>
        <moduleId>
            <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.samples</groupId>
            <artifactId>HelloWorldApp</artifactId>
            <version>2.2</version>
            <type>war</type>
        </moduleId>
    </environment>
    <context-root>/hello</context-root>
</web-app>

web.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app version="2.4" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>HelloWorld.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>
</web-app>

Re: Newbie problem with web.xml

Posted by albu77 <al...@gmail.com>.
It was a typo error my directory is WEB-INF

Alain

Re: Newbie problem with web.xml

Posted by Ivan <xh...@gmail.com>.
Not sure it is a typo error, WEB.INF should be WEB-INF

2010/9/14 albu77 <al...@gmail.com>

> Newbie and stupid .. I'm
> I put the WEB.INF In the wrong directory
>

> But Now I get another error
> C:\Apache\GeronimoEtTomcat\bin>deploy --user system --password manager
> deploy --
> inPlace c:\Apache\GeronimoEtTomcat\applications
> Using GERONIMO_HOME:   C:\Apache\GeronimoEtTomcat
> Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var\temp
> Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jre6
> 2010-09-14 14:17:26,685 ERROR [DeployTool] Error:
> org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: Unable to deploy
> applications: A
> pp client module jar does not contain a manifest:
> c:\Apache\GeronimoEtTomcat\app
> lications
>
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.CommandDeploy.runCommand(CommandDe
> ploy.java:45)
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.CommandDistribute.executeOnline(Co
> mmandDistribute.java:149)
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.CommandDistribute.execute(CommandD
> istribute.java:125)
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.deployment.cli.DeployTool.execute(DeployTool.java
> :168)
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.main(Ma
> inConfigurationBootstrapper.java:45)
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.cli.AbstractCLI.executeMain(AbstractCLI.java:65)
>        at
> org.apache.geronimo.cli.deployer.DeployerCLI.main(DeployerCLI.java:31
> )
>

> But when I download the war it works
>
> So I'm Sorry I have really to dig into it
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Alain

Ivan

Re: Newbie problem with web.xml

Posted by albu77 <al...@gmail.com>.
I download the other 2.2 version with Tomcat
It doesn't work either with the same error message.................

Re: Newbie problem with web.xml

Posted by albu77 <al...@gmail.com>.
I downloaded
geronimo-jetty7-javaee5-2.2-bin.zip

Alain

Re: Newbie problem with web.xml

Posted by chi runhua <ch...@gmail.com>.
I didn't see any problems neither with the geronimo-web.xml nor web.xml
file.  And I just tried on my machine with the exact steps on Geronimo2.2
and it works as expected.

If you were using 3.0M1 or later versions, --inPlace is not supported yet
and we already have a JIRA(1) for it.

Please try with 2.2 or 2.1.* versions.

(1). https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-5488

HTH.