Posted to dev@calcite.apache.org by Ravi Prakash <ra...@ymail.com> on 2015/01/07 00:45:27 UTC

Re: Building Hive-0.14 is failing because artifact pentaho-aggdesigner-algorithm-5.1.3-jhyde could not be resolved

Hi folks!
I'm still stuck on this issue. Hopefully people are back from their vacations and can now reply. Resending.

     On Monday, December 29, 2014 1:17 PM, Ravi Prakash <ra...@ymail.com> wrote:

 Hi folks!
I'm still somewhat stuck on this issue. Could someone please guide me?
I had to manually download these jars and put them into my ~/.m2/repository from http://repo.spring.io/libs-release/org/pentaho/pentaho-aggdesigner-algorithm/5.1.3-jhyde/ . (When I configured this repository, maven somehow still didn't find the artifacts)
I had to do this for the following artifacts:http://repo.spring.io/libs-release/org/pentaho/pentaho-aggdesigner/5.1.3-jhyde/pentaho-aggdesigner-5.1.3-jhyde.pomhttp://repo.spring.io/libs-release/net/hydromatic/linq4j/0.4/linq4j-0.4.jarhttp://repo.spring.io/libs-release/net/hydromatic/quidem/0.1.1/quidem-0.1.1.pom
Consequently I was able to build hive, however I don't believe this is a kosher way of producing production binaries, so I am still waiting to hear from you all. Is there another trusted repository I can try which has these artifacts indexed?

ThanksRavi

     On Monday, December 22, 2014 2:14 PM, Ravi Prakash <ra...@ymail.com> wrote:

 Hi!
Has anyone tried building Hive-0.14 from source? I'm using the tag for release-0.14.0 https://github.com/apache/hive/releases/tag/release-0.14.0

The command I use is: mvn install -DskipTests -Phadoop-2 -DcreateChecksum=true -Dtez.version=0.5.3 -Dcalcite.version=0.9.2-incubating

The build fails for me with the following error:[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project hive-exec: Could not resolve dependencies for project org.apache.hive:hive-exec:jar:0.14.0: The following artifacts could not be resolved: org.pentaho:pentaho-aggdesigner-algorithm:jar:5.1.3-jhyde, net.hydromatic:linq4j:jar:0.4, net.hydromatic:quidem:jar:0.1.1: Could not find artifact org.pentaho:pentaho-aggdesigner-algorithm:jar:5.1.3-jhyde in nexus (http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public) -> [Help 1]

This is a transitive dependency via the "calcite-0.9.2-incubating" artifact. Is there a JIRA which someone can please point me to? It seems wrong that an artifact with version "5.1.3-jhyde" is required to build Apache Hive, no disrespect to Julian. Am I missing something?
ThanksRavi

Re: Building Hive-0.14 is failing because artifact pentaho-aggdesigner-algorithm-5.1.3-jhyde could not be resolved

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@ymail.com>.
Thanks a lot Julian and Alan!

     On Thursday, June 11, 2015 10:01 AM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:

 I agree. Everything should come from the Apache repo or Maven central.

I logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-605 to track it, and it is fixed except for pentaho-aggdesigner-algorithm. I am still working on that one (persuading the Pentaho folks to deploy to maven central); see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CALCITE-756.

Julian

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@ymail.com>.
Thanks a lot Julian and Alan!

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@ymail.com>.
Thanks Julian!
I talked to Alan at the Hadoop Summit on Tuesday and he agreed that dependencies for Apache projects should be available via Maven Central (and shouldn't require trusting other repositories like conjars).
This problem persists with the current Hive-1.2.0 release since it depends on Calcite-1.3.0-incubating which in turn depends on artifacts like pentaho-aggdesigner-algorithm-5.1.5-hyde , There are also licensing issues that I am not completely sure of. For instance what is the license for pentaho-aggdesigner-algorithm ?

Posted by Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <ju...@gmail.com>.