Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2016/09/03 12:41:31 UTC

Spring PetClinic migration to Zest

Hi,

Roman Shaposhnik asked if Zest had a demo app equivalent to the Pet Store.
And that made me curious to see how much would it take to convert the
Spring Pet Clinic instead.

So, today, I worked on exactly that and nothing much else (well, the
toValueList et al as well).

I started with cloning https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-petclinic
to https://github.com/niclash/spring-petclinic.
I then worked ONLY in the angularjs branch, and tried to TAG each step
along the way, and document in ZestMigration.md what I was doing on a rough
level.

I am now at a point that everything is converted "in principle", but I need
to wire up the application with Spring MVC as well. The testcases has been
converted, and all pass except one, which I think is a bug in
NamedAssociation handling for ValueComposites, so I will take a look at
that.

Anyway, this is a heads-up, that approx 8-10 hours of work to convert that,
without modifying the bad design. It is a bit difficult to estimate how
much time people have spent on creating the Pet Clinic, over ~6 years...
But I think it is substantial amount of time, strangely enough.

Feel free to take a look, and Pull Requests are welcome.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer