Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin McBrearty <ke...@atg.ca> on 2001/12/06 19:57:07 UTC

Question re: static/dynamic content, cookies, session tracking

I just want to clarify my understanding of something here.

I have a web application which serves both static and dynamic pages, and
the user can move back and forth between static and dynamic pages. The
dynamic pages are generated by servlets using Velocity. Session tracking
is involved, and this works fine when cookies are enabled on the
browser. The problem is when cookies are disabled and the user moves
from a dynamic page to a static page and back again.  My understanding
is that URL rewriting is the responsibility of the application, not the
web server, so that to maintain session tracking between static and
dynamic pages when cookies are disabled means that I would have to serve
all pages, both static and dynamic, from a servlet and use encodeURL to
properly encode the links to and from the static pages.

Is this correct or am I missing something very fundamental here ?

--
Kevin McBrearty
ATG Automation Technologies Group Ltd.