Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Lonergan <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/05 23:01:12 UTC

Extending the maven pom with custom elements

(resending because it was pointed out that my original post was empty)

I want to add some additional info the pom - I'm using this to record some
status info about the object.
For one of my use cases I will scrape this info out of the POM using by an
standalone util, I might also scrape this info using a mvn site plugin.

I want some advice on doing this.

I was thinking I need something like

<project>
... lines deleted ..
    <mystuff>
        <morestuff>
        </morestuff>
    </mystuff>
... lines deleted ..
</project>

I would like validation in the IDE to work so presumably I need to include
an additional namespace (eg "extension") and schema reference. So I end up
with something like

<project>
... lines deleted ..
    <extension:mystuff>
        <extension:morestuff>
        </extension:morestuff>
    </extension:mystuff>
... lines deleted ..
</project>

I'm no xml expert but I believe the above is possible.

Is it possible to set up the schema for my extensions so that the <mystuff>
element is only valid as a child of <project>?
Any clues how to do this?