Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sandy McArthur <Sa...@McArthur.org> on 2004/09/03 06:03:49 UTC

How to control the order Valves are invoked?

I have a custom Valve I specify in a Context element of the server.xml
which I'd like to be invoked after the AuthenticatorBase in the chain
of Valves so that I can use:

((HttpServletRequest) request.getRequest()).getRemoteUser()

and possibly get a meaningful value.

Is there any hope of controlling the Valve order or must I find another
way to do what I want?

--
Sandy McArthur

Re: How to control the order Valves are invoked?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
By default, the Authenticator is added after any custom Valves.  However, if
you add the Authenticator yourself, you can control the order:
   <Context path="..." docBase="...">
      <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator"
/>
      <Valve className="org.mcarthur.my.package.MyValve" />
  </Context>