Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Ricardo <hi...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2005/04/14 21:30:26 UTC

minimal logj, deps

hi devs
1.3 is in alpha so I take the chance to suggest
rethinking some design decisions.

Some time ago, there was a minimal log4j, basically
Logger, FileAppender etc. Why was this direction
stalled?

log4j has blown up quite a bit, and - while it was
hard with 1.2*, it seems impossible today to build a
mini log4j oneself.

An immediate wish would be to remove necessity to
have joran package (via OptionConverter, LogLog etc).

Moving elsewhere and loosing Chainsaw would hurt ;)

Also, using jdk1.5 MessageFormatter and
StacktraceElements bought us a speedup of
about 5 for fully detailed logs. I don't know about
AS400 and backwards compatibility reqs though...

Regards,
Ricky

Re: minimal logj, deps

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 09:30 PM 4/14/2005, you wrote:
>hi devs
>1.3 is in alpha so I take the chance to suggest
>rethinking some design decisions.

Sure.

>Some time ago, there was a minimal log4j, basically
>Logger, FileAppender etc. Why was this direction
>stalled?
>
>log4j has blown up quite a bit, and - while it was
>hard with 1.2*, it seems impossible today to build a
>mini log4j oneself.

Admittedly, it's a problem.

>An immediate wish would be to remove necessity to
>have joran package (via OptionConverter, LogLog etc).

Log4j mini does not require joran to build. Maybe you mean something else?

>Also, using jdk1.5 MessageFormatter and
>StacktraceElements bought us a speedup of
>about 5 for fully detailed logs. I don't know about
>AS400 and backwards compatibility reqs though...

If I am not mistaken, MessageFormatter was introduced in JDK 1.2 (if not
1.1) and StacktraceElements was introduced in JDK 1.4.

--
Ceki Gülcü