Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by St...@astrazeneca.com on 2002/01/10 11:03:12 UTC

mod_rewrite condition

Hi!

I want to use mod_rewrite to send users to a maintenance page.
I only want to do this if is maintenance going on, and without restarting
the web server.
My belief is that I have to read a "variable" outside the web server config,
because otherwise I have to restart the webserver, making it read the
changed httpd.conf files.

I tried to use a condition where it checks if there exists a named file.
That works fine and without having to restart the web server. But I'm
worried about the performance. Isn't it time-consuming to make the webserver
look for this file on every request?

Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Regards
/Stefan

RE: mod_rewrite condition

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

> From: Stefan.Faegersten@astrazeneca.com

> Hi!
>
> I want to use mod_rewrite to send users to a maintenance page.
> I only want to do this if is maintenance going on, and without restarting
> the web server.
> My belief is that I have to read a "variable" outside the web
> server config,
> because otherwise I have to restart the webserver, making it read the
> changed httpd.conf files.
>
> I tried to use a condition where it checks if there exists a named file.
> That works fine and without having to restart the web server. But I'm
> worried about the performance. Isn't it time-consuming to make
> the webserver
> look for this file on every request?
>
> Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Well, one way to do it is to use an .htaccess that you drop into the
documentroot.  But this also requires a file read on every request.

My suggestion is that you forget the "without restarting the web server"
requirement.  Restarting the web server is a perfectly harmless event if you
use a "graceful" restart.  No connections are lost.  You can just swap in a
new config file and do a graceful restart.

Joshua.