Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Marc Molinari <m....@soton.ac.uk> on 2002/12/02 17:29:59 UTC

Xindice security (follow-up from xindice-dev: more access control thoughts)

Hi,

First of all apologies for cross-posting to -dev and -user. I couldn't
see how to separate the issues in this email as they were raised in
recent postings on both groups.

Jim (in -dev) is absolutely right in asking the question "how COULD
Xindice be used" and therefore how to improve the acceptance in a
wider community. I believe that Xindice is a fantastic, future-oriented
DB product and agree with Jim that one of the most important features
for its usage in any more or less "open" environment is the security
aspect.

We looked into the usability of Xindice 1.0 for engineering software
applications to store (loads! of) XML files in an environment where
concurrent access from differing applications or services as well as
a range of users and machines can occur.
We are very happy with the current functionality, however, one of
the most concerning issues to us and probably any community of users
is indeed the security in form of access control, authentication and
authorization. The problem with the current version (1.0) is that
basically anyone can add/update/remove collections and documents
randomly.

There are pre-defined collections in /db/system which come installed
with Xindice - called SysAccess, SysGroups, SysObjects, SysConfig,
SysUsers and SysSymbols - and I wonder if I have just overlooked the
documentation on these or if there isn't any.

-> Are these (empty) collections used for anything? Can we actually
define the system configuration / users / access rules in these
or are they simply sample folders (which thus could be removed)?
Will they provide any functionality in Xindice 1.1 or for later
releases?

-> Has anyone experience with defining user/machine level access
for Xindice (maybe in relation to the Apache XML Security project)
and would be able to share this with the xindice community?

-> Are there any plans for security features on the roadmap for
future versions?

-> Can I help?

Many thanks for your time & information.
Regards,
Marc

 Marc Molinari
 e-Science Centre Southampton
 Computational Engineering & Design Group
 School of Engineering Sciences
 University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK

Re: Xindice security (follow-up from xindice-dev: more access control thoughts)

Posted by Jim Wissner <ji...@jbrix.org>.
+1 for the progressive approach.  This outline is a great plan.  To start
with high granularity would be asking for trouble, and be tons of work. I
mean, it's going to be a lot of work anyway.  But I like the idea of no
access/RO access/RW access.  If this could be done for top-level databases,
that's 100% ahead of where it is now.  Granularity can come later, if
necessary (my guess is that that will introduce serious performance issues
and greatly complicate the querying mechanisms).

Jim

--
jim@jbrix.org

Visit www.jbrix.org for:
   + SpeedJAVA jEdit Code Completion Plugin
   + Xybrix XML Application Framework
   + other great Open Source Software

Re: Xindice security (follow-up from xindice-dev: more access control thoughts)

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.