Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Wannamaker <mw...@opentext.com> on 2008/11/19 22:14:27 UTC

cluster configuration

I'm having an issue with clustering in tomcat and tribes.

I get this output, I'm not sure why Tribes can't bind to the multicast
address?  It then binds to localhost which doesn't allow machines to see
each other.

Any help is appreciated.

19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.ReceiverBase
bind
INFO: Receiver Server Socket bound to:/10.6.2.89:4000
19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
INFO: Attempting to bind the multicast socket to /239.176.50.121:45566
19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
INFO: Binding to multicast address, failed. Binding to port only.
19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
INFO: Setting multihome multicast interface to:localhost/127.0.0.1
19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
INFO: Setting cluster mcast soTimeout to 500
19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership,
start level:4
19-Nov-2008 3:30:24 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:4
19-Nov-2008 3:30:24 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership,
start level:8
19-Nov-2008 3:30:25 PM
org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:8
Initializing 3rdParty Loggers

Re: cluster configuration

Posted by Gustavo Araujo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Instead of puting 127.0.0.1 in your conf file (server.xml) put the "real" ip
adress of your server.

Restart the server and look at catalina.out.

Regards.

2008/11/19 Mike Wannamaker <mw...@opentext.com>

> I'm having an issue with clustering in tomcat and tribes.
>
> I get this output, I'm not sure why Tribes can't bind to the multicast
> address?  It then binds to localhost which doesn't allow machines to see
> each other.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.ReceiverBase
> bind
> INFO: Receiver Server Socket bound to:/10.6.2.89:4000
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
> INFO: Attempting to bind the multicast socket to /239.176.50.121:45566
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
> INFO: Binding to multicast address, failed. Binding to port only.
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
> INFO: Setting multihome multicast interface to:localhost/127.0.0.1
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl setupSocket
> INFO: Setting cluster mcast soTimeout to 500
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:23 PM
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
> INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership,
> start level:4
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:24 PM
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
> INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:4
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:24 PM
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
> INFO: Sleeping for 1000 milliseconds to establish cluster membership,
> start level:8
> 19-Nov-2008 3:30:25 PM
> org.apache.catalina.tribes.membership.McastServiceImpl waitForMembers
> INFO: Done sleeping, membership established, start level:8
> Initializing 3rdParty Loggers

Gustavo Campos Araujo

Re: cluster configuration

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
239.176.50.121 should be in the "address" attribute, not in the bind attribute.
the bind attribute is what network card you wanna use for multicasting, the address is what address you wanna use to send your pings over

Filip

RE: cluster configuration

Posted by Mike Wannamaker <mw...@opentext.com>.
Hi Filip

I found the cause

	            if(_desiredLocalIPAddr != null)
	            {
		            mCastService.setBind(_desiredLocalIPAddr);
	            }

_ desiredLocalIPAddr was not actually null but empty and therefore call
mCastService.setBind("");

Perhaps setBind(); should check the given ip?  However, I have fixed my
code to not allow this.

Cheers
Mike

RE: cluster configuration