Posted to users@shindig.apache.org by Luc Rochefort <lr...@insyders.com> on 2014/04/14 22:45:38 UTC

First steps with Shindig

Hi!

I'm trying to build a web-app that would call the REST API of the
OpenSocial Data Server. I have a few issues though.

1- I tried to build Shindig following these instructions:
http://shindig.apache.org/documentation_building_java.html and it didn't
work. As stated in Setting up an Eclipse development environment, "After
the build finishes there will be a web app in
/shindig-project/java/server/target/shindig-server--SNAPSHOT".
Well, there wasn't...

2- So I tried to get shindig-server-2.5.1.war directly and drop it in
Tomcat. The server starts fine, but as I said I only want to use the REST
API of the social module. I am now able the test some calls (i.e.
http://localhost:8080/shindig-server-2.5.1/rest/people/jane.doe/@self) and
get a response back.

Now I need to know how to configure Shindig to use my own database for
persistence instead of the file canonicaldb.json.

Can someone help, please?

Luc

Re: First steps with Shindig

Posted by Andreas Kohn <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> Now I need to know how to configure Shindig to use my own database for
> persistence instead of the file canonicaldb.json.

Basically that involves implementing the various *Service interfaces in the
org.apache.shindig.social.opensocial.spi package with classes that call to
your database.

The default JsonDbOpensocialService class implements most of the services,
and queries the 'canonicaldb.json' file. In the SampleModule class you can
find the bindings from the *Service interfaces to this implementation. By
modifying that module you can choose to incrementally replace one service
after the other, or disable the services you do not want to have.

Andreas

PS: Regarding the instructions: seems we need to do a pass over them to
ensure they still work.