Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> on 2023/06/07 16:00:06 UTC

HOCON support (was Re: Question - JDK Minimum of future Apache Maven 4.0.0)

A very rough cut at supporting HOCON is available at
https://github.com/gnodet/maven-hocon-extension. It currently requires
https://github.com/gnodet/maven/tree/polyglot (mainly to add the maven
model as an attached artifact during the build so that it can be consumed
by the hocon parser generator).  The generated parser does not handle the
whole model yet, so it's very experimental (and an important part of it is
the plugin configuration which is... xml).  A very simple parseable POM is
available at
https://github.com/gnodet/maven-hocon-extension/blob/main/src/it/simple/pom.conf
.  If people are actually interested in that, we may be able to move it as
an official maven extension.

Note that takari-polyglot is broken with maven 4 and the above parser is
only for maven 4...

Anyway, I'm all for moving maven forward !

Guillaume

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Re: HOCON support (was Re: Question - JDK Minimum of future Apache Maven 4.0.0)

Posted by Benjamin Marwell <bm...@apache.org>.
Big +1 for an alternative format, but not sure HOCON is the best of all
those out there.
It surely is one of the better ones, though.

Big plus is easiness to humans, no deps, external docs.

However, TOML gained some popularity.  I'd say Maven should ship no more
than one alternative to XML. And while HOCON is a great candidate, so is
TOML. TOML is much easier to parse.

But HOCON is good for me, too. I just hope completion support / markup /
schema is a thing. Otherwise maintaining the pom documents could be a
little cumbersome.

All in all, +1 to what Romain said.

Am Mi., 7. Juni 2023 um 18:02 Uhr schrieb Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@apache.org

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Fully got it Hunter...but this has the same yaml pitfall: designed for
human, not embraced as much as planned (thanks k8s to showed it)...you
would also note that all that is doable in xml so question remains: how
much do we want to break our ecosystem?
Personally I'd love the main core descriptor to not break much at least for
deps (i care less about plugins but idea does since it parses the conf).

What about a hvn which would be a graalvm launcher rewriting the pom and
delegating to contextual mvn? Sounds like a way to make everyone happy and
cache the core entrypoint (pom.xml) without having to enable untested code
in our descriptor (what yaml/hocon does).

Posted by Hunter C Payne <hu...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christoph Läubrich <ma...@laeubi-soft.de>.

Posted by Hunter C Payne <hu...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 So perhaps it is easier to translate other formats to XML instead of adding support directly to the main code.  My idea wasn't so much to replace XML, rather it was to translate other formats to XML and then use the existing XML implementations.  I think that makes the work easier without impacting downstream plugins.
Hunter

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Le mer. 7 juin 2023 à 19:24, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org> a écrit :

> Mmh ,thé XML has not been really modified since maven 3.0, so I think it's
> quite stable now :-)

Im happy with that Guillaume but would mean we dont add all the
attributes/tags you want - this is the part I'd like to stabilize, how we
can release a new version with each mvn release without breaking the world.
We have the pipeline but didnt test it much but Im confident your work will
make it validated within 3-4 releases.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.