Posted to dev@hivemall.apache.org by Walaa Eldin Moustafa <wa...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/14 03:17:32 UTC

Hivemall & Transport UDFs

Hi Hivemall users and devs,

I was not sure if this post would be more suitable to the dev or user
list, so I am copying both. Hivemall sounds like a pretty interesting
project with a lot of potential.

At LinkedIn, we have been working on a relevant project for defining
portable SQL user-defined functions: Transport UDFs
https://github.com/linkedin/transport. This framework enable users to
define UDFs once and have them automatically translated to UDFs that
can be executed natively in multiple engines, such as Spark, Hive and
Presto. The framework can also evaluate UDFs on multiple data formats
such as Avro, or just plain Java objects. Do users of Hivemall think
it is beneficial to implement some of the UDFs in the Transport API so
they can run analytics on multiple engines? Looking forward to your
thoughts.

Thanks,
Walaa.

Re: Hivemall & Transport UDFs

Posted by Walaa Eldin Moustafa <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Makoto,

Yes, this is a sharp observation! ConstantObjectInspector is not
currently supported, and it is one of the features I was recently
talking to my teammates about. The limitation is mainly driven by the
lack of this concept in Presto UDFs, but I think we have some
workarounds.

For Spark SQL, Transport UDFs operate directly on Spark InternalRows,
and do not go through the ObjectInspector transformation, and thus
have better performance profile compared to Hive UDFs in Spark. We
have ran benchmarks that show these performance improvements.

Thanks,
Walaa.

Re: Hivemall & Transport UDFs

Posted by Walaa Eldin Moustafa <wa...@gmail.com>.