Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/11/02 11:29:44 UTC

[classlib] Really trivial comment about exception messages

While checking and applying some of Ilya's patches for
internationalisation, I noticed that there were quite a few messages
that end with a fullstop.  Aside from the inconsistency (which
unfortunately always seems to irritate me), it occurs to me that we will
end up with stack traces that read like:

  IllegalArgumentException: position less than zero. at blah(blah.java:101)

So, unless anyone objects, can we avoid putting fullstops on the end of
exception messages.

Thanks,
 Mark.

Re: [classlib] Really trivial comment about exception messages

Posted by Ilya Okomin <il...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

I'll take this into account when preparing next patches if none objects.

Thanks,
Ilya.

On 11/2/06, Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sounds reasonable :)
>
> SY, Alexey
>
> 2006/11/2, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>:
> >
> > While checking and applying some of Ilya's patches for
> > internationalisation, I noticed that there were quite a few messages
> > that end with a fullstop.  Aside from the inconsistency (which
> > unfortunately always seems to irritate me), it occurs to me that we will
> > end up with stack traces that read like:
> >
> >  IllegalArgumentException: position less than zero. at blah(blah.java
> :101)
> >
> > So, unless anyone objects, can we avoid putting fullstops on the end of
> > exception messages.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >  Mark.

Ilya Okomin

Re: [classlib] Really trivial comment about exception messages

Posted by Alexey Petrenko <al...@gmail.com>.
Sounds reasonable :)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
I love working with the English.  "What is the colour of the 'zed'
before the fullstop?"