Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> on 2011/10/18 21:24:16 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Hadoop 0.20.205.0 release

On Friday 14 Oct, the Hadoop community voted ten to zero (including four PMC
members voting in favor) to accept the release of Hadoop 0.20.205.0.

The biggest feature of this release is that it merges the
append/hsync/hflush features of branch-0.20-append, and security features of
branch-0.20-security.  Therefore, this is the first official Apache Hadoop
release that supports HBase in secure mode!

Thanks to everyone who contributed bug fixes, merges, and improvements.  It
was truly a community effort.

Best regards,
--Matt (Release Manager)

Re: Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Hadoop 0.20.205.0 release

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@u-mangate.com>.
Yes, it's getting better :)

HBase has still to be released taking account Hadoop 0.20.205.0
http://markmail.org/message/endt45r45scl266u

Thx,
Eric

--
Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Hadoop 0.20.205.0 release

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@googlemail.com>.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Hadoop 0.20.205.0 release

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@cloudera.com>.
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Hello Roman,
> HDFS-1943 is a resolved bug which was opened only against 0.22 and 0.23.  No
> one in the community (including you) saw fit to raise it as a concern for
> 0.20-security, despite multiple public invitations to propose jiras for
> inclusion in 0.20.205.

Well, this is slightly incorrect. It wasn't really fixed for .22.
That's why I opened
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2377 as part of Bigtop work on .22.
I hoped that RMs would actively monitor HDFS, MAPRED and COMMON
jira traffic, since given the unfortunate proliferation of branches in
Hadoop one
never knows which branch your users will be reporting the bugs in.

That said, you're right -- I should have been more explicit and push for it
to be included in .205 (honestly, I'm really surprised this is like the 4th time
Cos has to commit the same fix to a different branch :-().

> Testing a release candidate is a community effort,
> and out of all the people in the community who tested the RC, no one found
> or raised this as an issue.

I find this really difficult to believe. Either I'm doing something incorrectly,
or you guys had 0 testing with unsecured deployments of Hadoop.

If there's a way to start an unsecure datanode without running into this
issue I'd appreciate it very much if you could tell me how.

>.And yes, I am considering a 0.20.205.1 bug fix release, so if a tested patch
> is submitted in the near future, it can go in.

I would appreciate that. What's the time frame for the release?

> Regarding the second issue, "unfortunate placement of the task-controller
> binary", again please open a jira and submit a tested patch.  I'll be happy
> to include it in the next release.

Sure.

> Thank you for raising these issues.  I hope in the future the Bigtop team
> will consider testing the next Hadoop release candidate before the vote
> closes instead of after.

That is, actually, predicated on keeping us in the loop as part of the release
criteria. If you feel that Bigtop adds value to the hadoop release process
I'd love to collaborate with you on any future releases that you might
want to do.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Hadoop 0.20.205.0 release

Posted by Matt Foley <mf...@hortonworks.com>.
Hello Roman,

HDFS-1943 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-1943> is a resolved
bug which was opened only against 0.22 and 0.23.  No one in the community
(including you) saw fit to raise it as a concern for 0.20-security, despite
multiple public invitations to propose jiras for inclusion in 0.20.205.
 Testing a release candidate is a community effort, and out of all the
people in the community who tested the RC, no one found or raised this as an
issue.

Nevertheless, I would be happy to include the fix in the next release.  If
you would like it to be included, please re-open the jira for a backport,
and preferably submit a tested patch.  And yes, I am considering a
0.20.205.1 bug fix release, so if a tested patch is submitted in the near
future, it can go in.

Regarding the second issue, "unfortunate placement of the task-controller
binary", again please open a jira and submit a tested patch.  I'll be happy
to include it in the next release.

Thank you for raising these issues.  I hope in the future the Bigtop team
will consider testing the next Hadoop release candidate before the vote
closes instead of after.

Thanks,
--Matt

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.