Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Per Cederberg <pe...@percederberg.net> on 2011/11/08 07:59:23 UTC

Running Ant with a remote buildfile

Thought it would be neat to setup or compile projects with a remote
buildfile. Like this:

#> ant -f http://www.myproject.org/setup-1.0.xml

So I hacked up some support for it in the following GitHub branch:
https://github.com/cederberg/ant

Seems to work, but I haven't really used it or tested it properly yet.

Would you consider patches for inclusion?

Cheers,

/Per

Re: Running Ant with a remote buildfile

Posted by Benjamin DE DARDEL <be...@gmail.com>.
Nice idea,
is it possible to refer to a remote package with you solution, someting
like that :
<taskdef ... classpath="http://www.myproject.org/my-ant-subproject.jar<http://www.myproject.org/setup-1.0.xml>
">

Regards,
Benjamin

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 8 nov. 2011 à 15:03, Jeffrey E Care a écrit :

> cederberg@gmail.com wrote on 11/08/2011 01:59:23 AM:
>
>> Thought it would be neat to setup or compile projects with a remote
>> buildfile. Like this:
>>
>> #> ant -f http://www.myproject.org/setup-1.0.xml
>>
>> So I hacked up some support for it in the following GitHub branch:
>> https://github.com/cederberg/ant
>>
>> Seems to work, but I haven't really used it or tested it properly yet.
>
> It's an interesting feature but I'm not sure I would never let any of the
> products that I build do this.
>
> Who is controlling that remote resource? Who is ensuring that it's not
> deleted, moved or changed two years down the road & thus breaking the
> ability to recreate old builds? Some projects don't care about the ability
> to recreate old builds & for them these concerns aren't on their radar. If
> you do care about recreatibility then, IMO, using this feature is asking
> for trouble.

This is my first thought too.

But sometimes I use Ant as a portable script runner more than as a build manager. And I see at least one use case I would see this fit. To bootstrap something, a Java project for instance.
I would have somewhere remote an ant file which create a build.xml, an ivy.xml, create some src/main/java, test, resources, create an ivysettings.xml, etc. Then each time I want to create a project and start hacking, I would just launch ant -f http://my.local.network/dev/bootstrap.xml.

But yes again, I wouldn't recommend that use widely. Executing remote script can be quite dangerous, an obvious malign script could contain a <delete dir="/" /> :)

Nicolas

Re: Ant Widows

Posted by Tushar Kapila <tg...@gmail.com>.
I use windows 7 and have ant 1.8.2
ant is a java app. If you have a minimum jvm version(1.5 i think) on
your system ant 1.8 should run.
Ask your specific issue on the users list.

On 2011-11-11, Stephan Piesker <pi...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it true that ANT 1.8 is not runs on Windows 7?
>
> Greetings Stephan

Regards
Tushar Kapila

Re: Ant Widows

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2011-11-10, Stephan Piesker wrote:

> Is it true that ANT 1.8 is not runs on Windows 7?

Not true at all.  How do you get this impression?

Stefan

Ant Widows

Posted by Stephan Piesker <pi...@zedat.fu-berlin.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Joseph Boyd <jo...@cbsinteractive.com>.
On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 6:03 AM, Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Who is controlling that remote resource? Who is ensuring that it's not
> deleted, moved or changed two years down the road & thus breaking the
> ability to recreate old builds?

This idea seems very similar to the common practice of keeping a
projects jar dependencies in a remote repository (via ivy or similar).
 While there are certainly issues to consider (looking into people's
problems with maven plugin versioning for some examples), the idea
itself isn't that outlandish.

If you're comfortable keeping your internal artifacts in an ivy
repository for re-use by other project's later, its not a big stretch
to consider keeping bits of the build.xml definition there as well.

...joe

Re: Running Ant with a remote buildfile

Posted by Jeffrey E Care <ca...@us.ibm.com>.