Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk> on 2001/04/27 00:42:43 UTC

Jetspeed and Slash

Has anyone combined Jetspeed and Slash (eg by sharing RSS files)
or come up with a Slash-like portlet?

Cheers

Alex

Re: Jetspeed and Slash

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Alex McLintock wrote:

> At 11:32 28/04/01, you wrote:
>
>> Alex McLintock wrote:
>>
>>> Has anyone combined Jetspeed and Slash (eg by sharing RSS files)
>>> or come up with a Slash-like portlet?
>>

>> What is Slash? Can you give a URL?
>

> Sorry for assuming  that everyone knew what "slash" was.
> I was referring to slashcode which is the software behind
> http://slashdot.org

I know what slashdot and slashcode are, but I didn't know Slash as a name.

Yes, you have to tell Jetspeed where to find the rss urls that you
generate, for instance using a ocs feed.

Re: Jetspeed and Slash

Posted by Michael Sallman <ms...@pro-ns.net>.
Alex,
I'll take a stab at it.
Yes, you should be able to integrate them.

> Slashcode (I believe) also creates rss files which list the most recent
> stories -
> I think one is referenced from the standard Jetspeed installation.

In my Slash (1.0.5) the file to point to is in /public_html under the Slash home
directory.
It is (your Slash site name).rdf
You would add this to jetspeed-config.jcfg (in WEB-INF/conf/) thus:
<portlet-entry type="ref" parent="RSS" name="MySlashSite">
<url>http://localhost:8088/myslashsite.rdf</url>
<title>My Slash Site</title>
</portlet-entry>
or some such url pointing to your Slash site and then it will be accessible
through the Customizer page.
As to the other way, I think that Jetspeed can provide an RSS feed (though I'm
not sure of how or where to set this up. Help anyone??)
You would then add this feed to your Slash site.
Of course, if you are running Bender, RTFM :-)
(meaning, I haven't had a chance to look at Bender yet, but the same sort of
thing should work).

Mike

Re: Jetspeed and Slash

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.
At 11:32 28/04/01, you wrote:
>Alex McLintock wrote:
>
>>Has anyone combined Jetspeed and Slash (eg by sharing RSS files)
>>or come up with a Slash-like portlet?
>
>What is Slash? Can you give a URL?

Sorry for assuming  that everyone knew what "slash" was.
I was referring to slashcode which is the software behind http://slashdot.org

It is essentially a big discussion forum where a small set of editors
receive news of interesting articles put on the web (or possibly
elsewhere on the same site!!!) and then kick off a new discussion by
adding a news story to their system. Eg
Alex has written a book review of O'Reilly's Peer To Peer book.
You can read more at so_and_so_URL
You can read comments on this article here

Slashcode (I believe) also creates rss files which list the most recent
stories -
I think one is referenced from the standard Jetspeed installation.

Slashcode also uses rss files - there are little boxes on the sides
of a slashdot screen (called slashboxes) which are similar to
an RSS Portlet.

PS Slash is written in perl (for perl_mod on Apache) and uses MySQL
as its database.

So one possibility is that I run both programs together with a
similar graphic design (and hopefully shared user database) and
get jetspeed to display rss files generated by slashcode.

Alex

Re: Jetspeed and Slash

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Alex McLintock wrote:

> Has anyone combined Jetspeed and Slash (eg by sharing RSS files)
> or come up with a Slash-like portlet?

What is Slash? Can you give a URL?

I think this is a good answer to your question, on my part at least :)