Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Graham Russell <gr...@ham1.co.uk> on 2017/11/20 01:54:51 UTC

Deprecated Classes

I came across the following classes, in org.apache.log, which are
deprecated and the comment says will be removed in 3.3, but they still
seem to be here:
LogEvent
ContextMap
LogTarget
Logger
Priority

Was this an oversight or should these have been removed?

Thanks

Graham

Re: Deprecated Classes

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Am 22. November 2017 08:48:43 MEZ schrieb Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>:
>Hi,
>
>If JMeter will break plugins massively, the biggest problem are rarely
>changing/abandoned plugins. There's simply nobody to release fixed
>versions of them. So please consider a pain that this will cause to
>community.

+1

Felix

>Andrey Pokhilko
>
>22.11.2017 00:44, Philippe Mouawad пишет:
>> Hi Graham,
>> As we'll be releasing a 4.0, we might drop them.
>> This can possibly break plugins but we have warned about this for 2
>> releases.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 2:54 AM, Graham Russell <gr...@ham1.co.uk>
>wrote:
>>
>>> I came across the following classes, in org.apache.log, which are
>>> deprecated and the comment says will be removed in 3.3, but they
>still
>>> seem to be here:
>>> LogEvent
>>> ContextMap
>>> LogTarget
>>> Logger

Re: Deprecated Classes

Posted by Andrey Pokhilko <ap...@ya.ru>.
It can be any plugin in fact, you never know if maintainer will have
time to update it or will just say "meh".

For example, look at this plugin: https://github.com/Netflix/CassJMeter/wiki

  * Is it useful - yes.
  * Worth including into JMeter core - no, because it is useful for
    small amount of people.
  * Is it rarely changing - yes. Chances nobody will find time to update
    it is high.

JMeter's strong side is independence of plugins, so no need for core
team to maintain rarely used code. IMO even more code could be taken out
of core to benefit from independent release cycle.

The rarely used code might be still important for small group of people,
so any core disruption is a big question if we want to disrupt or not.

I personally don't like holding for old code and limiting project
evolution because of that. But for these specific classes, they don't
require much maintenance, nor they limit project progress.

Finally, I'm ok with dropping those classes, I will find a way to
mitigate this disruption for community.

Andrey Pokhilko

Re: Deprecated Classes

Posted by Antonio Gomes Rodrigues <ra...@gmail.com>.