Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pete Nelson <pe...@ci.stpaul.mn.us> on 2002/02/19 15:33:29 UTC

Re: Apache crashing/generating errors on Win32 when 404 encountered

I've seen this on Win32 when a loadable php module crashes.  From my
experience, it has usually only been the current thread that crashes,
and the actual server remains running.

I would take a look at the modules you're loading in your php.ini, as
well as the modules you're using through your 404 script.

One other possibility - have you upgraded your php?  If you have, it's
possible an older php library could be in your command path somewhere -
one with different hooks than your current php module.  This also causes
server threads to crash from my experience.

Good Luck!

--
Pete Nelson, Web Developer
<pe...@ci.stpaul.mn.us>

http://www.ci.stpaul.mn.us/

>>> matt@zevi.net 02/18/02 10:35PM >>>
Howdy...

Hopefully the subject line explained it... but I'll explain a bit more
anyway.

I have been using IIS5 up until recently, and have now switched to
Apache
because of the recent bombings on IIS, and also because I find it's
basically unreliable.

Apache is running fine with PHP 4.1.1, but I have one site for which I
want
a 404 error to be handled by a PHP script, and Apache keeps giving
errors
when it encounters the 404.
It adds an error to the error log, and it also throws a dialog box on
the
screen of the server saying
"Apache.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows\nYou
will
need to restart the program\n\nAn error log is being created."

The problem is that the files of course don't exist, but that's the
point of
the 404 being handled by PHP - it acts upon it accordingly.

I don't mind the error being added to the error log, but even if I turn
off
error logging, I still get the error message on the server, and
processing
of the page stops.

Any ideas?

Thanks,