Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/28 23:00:24 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1546339 - /commons/proper/imaging/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/imaging/formats/pnm/PnmConstants.java

On 28 November 2013 12:34, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:
> Le 28/11/2013 13:01, Gary Gregory a écrit :
>> This backward IMO and an anti-pattern: an interface should only define a contract for a service, not constants.
>
> I know, but that's more idiomatic than a class with only public static
> final fields.

Why?
That seems like quite a sensible use of a class; definitely better
than using an interface.

In any case, the intention needs to be documented in the source file.
We only release source files; documentation that is in SCM logs or
mailing lists is useless.

> The class is private now, so it doesn't matter much. We can improve that
> as we like later.

Surely an interface is effectively public?