Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ryan Worley <rw...@webassociates.com> on 2002/03/20 02:15:46 UTC

PNG-8

What is the status of supporting PNG-8 with the Batik Rasterizer?

Thanks,

Ryan

RE: Document Coordinates VS Screen Coorinates

Posted by Thierry Kormann <tk...@ilog.fr>.
> 	Does anyone know how to differentiate between screen
> coordinates and svg
> document coordinates? (which may be different due to zooming or
> panning). Is
> there a function that gets the view bounds in document coordinates for
> instance?

You can use clientX and clientY on DOM MouseEvent, and you will have the
mouse coordinates in the DOMImplementation coordinate system (ie. the
document in batik).

Thierry.

Document Coordinates VS Screen Coorinates

Posted by "Jeremy E. Denton" <jd...@galdosinc.com>.
Hey,

	Does anyone know how to differentiate between screen coordinates and svg
document coordinates? (which may be different due to zooming or panning). Is
there a function that gets the view bounds in document coordinates for
instance?

Jeremy E. Denton
Software Developer | Privileged or confidential information may be contained
Galdos Systems Inc | in this message. If this message was not intended for
                   | you, destroy it and notify us immediately. Opinions,
phone:             | conclusions, recommendations, and other information
(604)484-2762      | recommendations, and other information presented in
fax:               | this message are not given or necessarily endorsed by
(604)484-2755      | my employer or firm.

Re: PNG-8

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

RW> PNG-8 is an 8-bit (256 color) PNG image.  I believe that Batik
RW> currently only supports PNG-24 (24-bit) PNG images.  For graphics
RW> that don't use more than 256 colors, it would be nice to have a
RW> PNG-8 option to keep the file size small.

    Well the problem is that it is _really_ easy to generate an image
with more than 256 colors with SVG.  Just anti-aliasing can introduce
lots of colors, add opacity and gradients and it's easy to go over 256
colors.

    If someone wanted to contribute a good adaptive pallete generator,
and a good quantizer (minimum Floyd-Steinberg) it would I think be
gladly accepted.  But there are already a number of special purpose
applications that will do a much better job of this than Batik
probably ever will.  Note that most dithering algs do a really bad job
with line art.

Re: PNG-8

Posted by Thomas E Deweese <th...@kodak.com>.

Re: PNG-8