Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2004/11/21 21:51:29 UTC

win32 questions

I'm playing around with autogenerating dsp files again, and ran into a
few weird things I wanted to ask about...

First of all, threadproc/win32/threadcancel.c doesn't seem to be built.
  Or to be finished for that matter, the only function in there that
isn't commented out is ap_cancel_thread, which clearly isn't an apr
function.  There doesn't seem to be any thread cancellation support
anywhere else in APR, so can we just delete this file?

Second, I notice in apr.dsp we explicitly exclude misc/win32/apr_app.c
from being built, which makes sense, since you clearly don't want it in
the library all the time.  Is it absolutely necessary for apr.dsp to
exclude it, or can we get away with just not listing it?

Third, there are a bunch of header files (apr_random.h,
arch/win32/apr_arch_proc_mutex.h, arch/win32/apr_arch_thread_cond.h, and
arch/win32/apr_dbg_win32_handles.h specifically) that aren't listed in
apr.dsp but do exist in the tree and one (apr_private_common.h) that
doesn't exist but is listed.  Any reason this can't be resynched with
reality?

Finally, it seems that the random/unix/*.c code is built as part of
apr.dsp (the static lib) but not as part of libapr.dsp (the dll), is
there a reason for this?

Thanks,

-garrett

Re: win32 questions

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Branko Čibej wrote:

>> Cool, well if someone who has commit access could do that, I'd
>> appreciate it.
>

> /me picks up his magic wand... and finds there's also a
> threadproc/beos/threadcancel.c, whereupon he decides to wait for further
>
> Neither seems to be mentioned in any build scripts, though.

Yeah, and both are old enough that they still have the 1.1 license at
the top.  I wonder why they were missed when the conversion happened.
At first I assumed it was a bug in the cvs2svn conversion or something,
but they still exist in the CVS repository, so that doesn't seem likely...

>> In any case, this means I should have something that can generate
>> apr.dsp and libapr.dsp later tonight or tomorrow.  No promises as to
>> how much it'll actually work, since I don't actually have a copy of
>> VC6, but it'll at least look similar enough to the existing ones in
>> the tree that someone on win32 will have a fighting chance to pound it
>> into working order and commit it.
>

> Wonderful. I'll see if I can find some time to test the generator.

Great, thanks.

-garrett

Re: win32 questions

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Garrett Rooney wrote:

> Branko Čibej wrote:
>
>> I'd say yes. We can always ressurect it if it becomes interesting.
>
> Cool, well if someone who has commit access could do that, I'd
> appreciate it.

/me picks up his magic wand... and finds there's also a
threadproc/beos/threadcancel.c, whereupon he decides to wait for further

Neither seems to be mentioned in any build scripts, though.

>> Sounds like a bug to me. I wonder how come nobody has noticed yet.
>
> Maybe nobody uses the dlls.

httpd uses the DLLs. :-)

>   Or nobody uses the random number generator.  It is rather new, after
> all.

That's more likely, yes.

> In any case, this means I should have something that can generate
> apr.dsp and libapr.dsp later tonight or tomorrow.  No promises as to
> how much it'll actually work, since I don't actually have a copy of
> VC6, but it'll at least look similar enough to the existing ones in
> the tree that someone on win32 will have a fighting chance to pound it
> into working order and commit it.

Wonderful. I'll see if I can find some time to test the generator.

-- Brane

Re: win32 questions

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Branko Čibej wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>> I'm playing around with autogenerating dsp files again, and ran into a
>> few weird things I wanted to ask about...
>>
>> First of all, threadproc/win32/threadcancel.c doesn't seem to be
>> built.  Or to be finished for that matter, the only function in there
>> that isn't commented out is ap_cancel_thread, which clearly isn't an
>> apr function.  There doesn't seem to be any thread cancellation
>> support anywhere else in APR, so can we just delete this file?
>

> I'd say yes. We can always ressurect it if it becomes interesting.

Cool, well if someone who has commit access could do that, I'd
appreciate it.

>> Second, I notice in apr.dsp we explicitly exclude misc/win32/apr_app.c
>> from being built, which makes sense, since you clearly don't want it
>> in the library all the time.  Is it absolutely necessary for apr.dsp
>> to exclude it, or can we get away with just not listing it?
>

> Not listing it is enough.

Good to know.

>> Third, there are a bunch of header files (apr_random.h,
>> arch/win32/apr_arch_proc_mutex.h, arch/win32/apr_arch_thread_cond.h,
>> and arch/win32/apr_dbg_win32_handles.h specifically) that aren't
>> listed in apr.dsp but do exist in the tree and one
>> (apr_private_common.h) that doesn't exist but is listed.  Any reason
>> this can't be resynched with reality?
>

> apr_private_common.h certainly does exist. It's in include/arch. The
> others should be added to the .dsp.

Ahh, I just can't read then ;-)

>> Finally, it seems that the random/unix/*.c code is built as part of
>> apr.dsp (the static lib) but not as part of libapr.dsp (the dll), is
>> there a reason for this?
>

> Sounds like a bug to me. I wonder how come nobody has noticed yet.

Maybe nobody uses the dlls.  Or nobody uses the random number generator.
  It is rather new, after all.

Re: win32 questions

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.