Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2012/03/14 09:40:54 UTC

Query re possible Release blocker

OOo 3.3 regularly failed on Windows 7 after Internet Explorer 9
had been installed (by Win7 SP1?).  The fix was to either
uninstall IE9 (IE8 reinstalls) or to disable OOo's automatic
checking for updates.  I have no access to a Windows 7
installation to check against, but if this problem carries
forward to AOO 3.4 it will be a serious and very obvious
problem.  I ask if anyone has checked if either or both of
these fixes are necessary on AOO 3.4.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Query re possible Release blocker

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:56:11 +0000
Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:

> On 14 March 2012 13:15, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Rory O'Farrell
> > <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> >> I need to stress that the problem only arose after Win7 SP1
> >> was installed; the presence of IE9 on Win7 is sufficient to
> >> cause the problem.
> >>

> > I'm just trying to find a plausible cause that fits the
> > observed facts:
> >
> > 1) Bug reported before with Windows 7 SP1 and IE9
> >
> > 2) Bug goes away when you disable OOo's automatic updates
> >
> > 2) But bug is not observed in current testing, not in Lily's
> > testing with Windows 7, or with Ross's use.
> >
> > 3) Update server was once working, but is not working now
> >
> > So two plausible theories that are worth testing:
> >
> > A) Bug actually exists in AOO today, but no one is testing
> > with SP1 and IE 9 installed
>
> I can confirm that I am running Windows 7 with SP1 and IE9. I
> can confirm that I have seen no problems with AOO stability in
> normal use. I can confirm that I've tried to trigger this
> problem, but that is hard given that we don't have a recipe to
> reproduce the problem.
>
> I have not done any formal testing of AOO, only general use in a
> reasonably demanding environment.
>
> Ross

That is good news; the problem may have been cleared with the
code tidy up resulting from the IP clearance.  The reports were
that normally the instability manifested itself very quickly in
ordinary use.  There is some little discussion arising from
posting
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=46193&start=30
in subsequent postings, discussion which has not  yet reached
any substantial consensus.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by xia zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
2012/3/14 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 12:53:11 +0000
> > Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

> >> It regularly failed when the old OOo Upgrade server refused to
> >> make a connection, which may have been a factor.
> >
> > I need to stress that the problem only arose after Win7 SP1 was
> > installed; the presence of IE9 on Win7 is sufficient to cause the
> > problem.
> >

> I'm just trying to find a plausible cause that fits the observed facts:
>
> 1) Bug reported before with Windows 7 SP1 and IE9
>
> 2) Bug goes away when you disable OOo's automatic updates
>
> 2) But bug is not observed in current testing, not in Lily's testing
> with Windows 7, or with Ross's use.
>
> 3) Update server was once working, but is not working now
>
> So two plausible theories that are worth testing:
>
> A) Bug actually exists in AOO today, but no one is testing with SP1
> and IE 9 installed

We tested AOO 3.4 latest dev snap shot build Rev 1299571 with Windows 7 SP1
with IE 9 installed, but couldn't reproduce it.

Lily

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:51:39 +0000
Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:

> I've not experienced this in about a month of reasonably heavy
> usage. Is there a sure-fire way to trigger the failure? I'd be
> happy to try it.

> On Mar 14, 2012 8:41 AM, "Rory O&apos;Farrell"
> <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
> > OOo 3.3 regularly failed on Windows 7 after Internet Explorer
> > 9 had been installed (by Win7 SP1?).  The fix was to either
> > uninstall IE9 (IE8 reinstalls) or to disable OOo's automatic
> > checking for updates.  I have no access to a Windows 7
> > installation to check against, but if this problem carries
> > forward to AOO 3.4 it will be a serious and very obvious
> > problem.  I ask if anyone has checked if either or both of
> > these fixes are necessary on AOO 3.4.

I can only give you some general discussion on the matter,
as I don't use Windows 7.

Speaking generally, the problem showed up
as instability of existing OOo 3.3 installations after Win 7
updated to SP1. Subsequent to the SP1 update, which I think
happened automatically in many cases, new installations of OOo 3.3
sometimes hung during install, or were unstable to the point of
effective unusability.  Many of the reports were uncertain - as
you know, there is no Quality Control on the standard of Users
(joke!), but either of the two fixes I outlined were reported to
work in many cases.  It was not necessary for IE9 to be used,
merely present on the computer.  If a User was an IE9
afficionado, we recommended reinstalling OOo 3.3 and performing a
repair installation, selecting in that to disable automatic
checking for updates.

I have asked the same question on the Forum; hopefully some of
the volunteers there will have relevant input, which I will echo
here.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.