Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Nathan Kopp <nk...@mailshell.com> on 2005/03/23 05:36:30 UTC

multi-select component

I'm looking for a special kind of multi-select component.

I want to be able to bind it to two lists (plain lists... nothing special
about them): one is the list of possible options, the other is the list of
selected options.  When the form is submitted, selected options will be
copied to the second list, and  de-selected options will be removed from
that list.  The first list (possible options) would remain unchanged in the
model.

The system could use the index in the first list as the object's identity
(instead of having to use the IPropertySelectionModel interface).  It would
be nice if we could also bind to a map instead of a list, in which case the
component would use the key (toString) in the map as the object's identity.
(I'd also love to see versions of the PropertySelection and Select
components that support this type of binding.)

The component would look like the one described here:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/11/21/tapestry.html

Also, see the "af:selectOrderShuttle" JSF component on this page to see what
I'm talking about:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/htdocs/partners/addins/exchange/jsf/doc/tagdoc/core/imageIndex.html

Does something like this exist?  Has anyone thought of creating something
such a component?

Slight off topic... Since in another thread components are being
disucssed... the Oracle JSF ADF page above is a great source of component
ideas.  It would be great if we had implementations of most of those
components readily available for Tapestry.

-Nathan

Re: multi-select component

Posted by Nathan Kopp <nk...@mailshell.com>.
Umm... apparently I wasn't thinking a few minutes ago when I wrote that last
request...

First, I see that the Palette component does exist in the contrib library...
guess I should look first before shooting off at the mouth (or keyboard as
the case may be).

Second, binding to a simple list or map instead of IPropertySelectionModel
wouldn't be as simple as I thought... somehow I forgot that we needed
LABELS!  Oh, well... I THOUGHT I had a good idea... back to the drawing
board for me...

-Nathan

http://rd.mailshell.com/www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/11/21/tapestry.html

http://rd.mailshell.com/www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/htdocs/partners/addins/exchange/jsf/doc/tagdoc/core/imageIndex.html