Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Steve Roth <st...@oracle.com> on 2013/09/03 23:15:45 UTC

how to pass kernel parameters to VMs

Hi all,

Is there any way when starting a VM to override/pass kernel parameters,
such as single?  (for single-user mode)

I guess this presumes Linux VMs.

We're looking for a way to pass a 'purpose' to a VM (other than its
name).   One way would appear to be the 'userdata' field in the
deployVirtualMachine API  (presuming there is a way to fetch this value
once the VM boots up).     I'm just wondering if we could use a kernel
parameter as well.

If it's helpful, we are using KVM as our hypervisor.

Thanks!
-Steve

Re: how to pass kernel parameters to VMs

Posted by Steve Roth <st...@oracle.com>.
Great ideas -- thanks Shanker!

-Steve

Posted by Shanker Balan <sh...@shapeblue.com>.