Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/03 16:33:51 UTC

Re: Proposal for a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache projects/software

Is there a reason we can't reuse the existing repository at
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/ ?

In your example, Eclipse could be configured to check
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/axis/jars/ for an update?

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
it would be nice to have a similar feature for Netbeans.

Milos Kleint

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@apache.org>.
Jeffrey,

Yes as they pointed out I'm moving our responses to the thread to the
repository group.

Each project is responsible for their repository contents. So, from this
standpoint, if you took Axis for example, the Axis group would be
responsible for managing the release of any Axis Eclipse plugin
artifacts into the repository. Now, the benefit (or burden) of this is
that Axis gets canonical control of managing the distribution of such a
plugin and can maintain authority of its release cycle. So ultimately,
you should hop onto the Axis list and start a discussion there
concerning if they are interested in maintaining the plugin.

Some important facts about the repository.

1.) The repository under www.apache.org/dist/java-repository is only for
full releases of apache projects (not nightly/integration builds).
2.) Its is not advised that you point users directly at the above url,
but go through any of the many Apache mirrors.
3.) All released artifacts should be signed by author using both PGP and
MD5 signatures.

In regards to (2), I'd be interested in seeing how the new mirrors
feature of the Eclipse update manager can handle this gracefully.

Posted by Mark Diggory <md...@gmail.com>.
Jeffrey,

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Again, please move this thread to the repository@ list.  Thank you!

     Erik

On May 3, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Jeffrey Liu wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> None of the above sound attractive. If there's an Eclipse update
>>> manager
>>> site setup for Apache, then end users can search and install new
>>> updates
>>> automatically by making just a few clicks. I believe this
>>> advances the
>>> integration between open source software that are provided in
>>> different
>>> domains (Apache, Eclipse, etc). I think this can benefit the open
>>> source
>>> community and can grow the open source ecosystem.
>>>
>>> Do I need to propose a new Apache project for something like this?
>>> Suggestions/comments are welcomed.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jeffrey Liu
>>> IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
>>> IBM Toronto Lab.
>>> 8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
>>> Fax: (905) 413 4920

Posted by Jeffrey Liu <je...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Diggory <md...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Jeffrey,

> Thanks for your response. The existing repository won't work. Unlike a
> Java application, putting JARs on the classpath is not sufficient to make
> Eclipse aware of these libraries. Eclipse needs to work with something
> known as an Eclipse plug-in, which is really the JARs themselves plus a
> couple XML configuration files. So, in order to make use of the Eclipse
> update manager, we need to bundle the JARs, the XML configuration files
> and other files such as license/readme/etc together in the form of an
> Eclipse plug-in.

So are you proposing a new project or some infra work to host another
repo with these jars+metadata? And then of course support/commitment of
various projects to put stuff into that repo.

Sanjiva.

Re: Proposal for a centralized Eclipse update manager site for Apache projects/software

Posted by Jeffrey Liu <je...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Dion,

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Dion Gillard wrote:

> Is there a reason we can't reuse the existing repository at
> http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/ ?

And for further discussion, please use repository@apache.org.

	--- noel