Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "lauradiara@libero.it" <la...@libero.it> on 2002/03/29 10:16:18 UTC

tomcat - nobody

Hi all,

I have tomcat 4.0.3 installed with apache 1.3.23. All is ok but I have
a question.
I start apache as nobody/nobody and I'd like starting tomcat as
nobody/nobody while now I'm starting tomcat as root/root.

How can I start tomcat as nobody/nobody?
Does it exist a script?
What must I modify?
Plese help me

Thanks for your advices

Laura

Re: tomcat - nobody

Posted by Julien OIX <ju...@presidence.univ-nantes.fr>.
"lauradiara@libero.it" a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> I have tomcat 4.0.3 installed with apache 1.3.23. All is ok but I have
> a question.
> I start apache as nobody/nobody and I'd like starting tomcat as
> nobody/nobody while now I'm starting tomcat as root/root.
>
> How can I start tomcat as nobody/nobody?
> Does it exist a script?
> What must I modify?
> Plese help me
>
> Thanks for your advices
>
> Laura

if U're on a linux machine, search for a file named tomcat4.conf (on
redhat, located in /etc/tomcat4/conf)
U'll find a line for definition of TOMCAT_USER.

I don't know if U can define the group elsewhere ...

hopes this helps.

--
Julien OIX
Service Informatique de Gestion

Re: tomcat - nobody

Posted by Carsten Burstedde <c...@burstedde.de>.
>How can I start tomcat as nobody/nobody?
>Does it exist a script?
>What must I modify?

I assume you are talking linux?

For my setup, I created an extra tomcat user (account /home/tomcat) and installed tomcat there. In the bootup script
/etc/init.d/boot.local you can put a line like -> su -l -c "where/is/tomcat start" tomcat <- or similar, and analog things in
the halt script. You must make sure that all logging directories etc. are writable to this user. So it would be best to put
them somewhere under /home/tomcat too. You can alternatively make the directory /var/log/tomcat and then a ->
chown -R tomcat: /var/log/tomcat <-.

Greetings,

Carsten