Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Bennen, Jan A." <ja...@seneca.nl> on 2008/02/07 16:00:56 UTC

FOP 0.93 Euro symbol not displayed

Hello,
I am new to Fop.

For one of our customers we are using FOP 0.93 to create PDF files.

The Euro symbol is not displayed correctly in the pdf file (a rectangle is shown).

I changed in the FO file the symbol to &#x20AC; as is suggested in your basic help, but nothing changes.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Kind regards,

Jan Bennen
Support Engineer
Seneca Helpdesk

Elektronicaweg 31
2628 XG  Delft,  Nederland
T   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 77
F   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 01
E   support@seneca.nl
I    www.seneca.nl
Op dit mailbericht is onze disclaimer van kracht.

RE: FOP 0.93 Euro symbol not displayed

Posted by "Bennen, Jan A." <ja...@seneca.nl>.
Ok, it worked. MS Sans Serif was also ok.
I am using Saxon to create the fo file and I replaced the euro symbol with fo:wrapper font-family="Symbol">&#x20AC;</fo:wrapper> via the xslt sheet.
That did the job.

Thanks!

Met vriendelijke groet,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Not "MS Sans Serif", "sans-serif" which maps to the built-in base 14
"Helvetica" font. You can also use "Helvetica", of course.

On 08.02.2008 15:14:08 Bennen, Jan A. wrote:
> Which font does have a Euro glyph? MS Sans Serif seems not to have it. Or should I use another code for the eurosign?
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
> Jan Bennen
> Support Engineer
> Seneca Helpdesk
>
> Elektronicaweg 31
> 2628 XG  Delft,  Nederland
> T   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 77
> F   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 01
> E   support@seneca.nl
> I    www.seneca.nl
> Op dit mailbericht is onze disclaimer van kracht.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: FOP 0.93 Euro symbol not displayed

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Ok, Jan sent me the file off-list.

"(&#x20AC; 0,50 per min.)" doesn't work if the font you're using doesn't
have the Euro character. That's why you have to explicitely switch to
the "Symbol" (or sans-serif) font (as I have shown in my earlier example):

(<fo:wrapper font-family="Symbol">&#x20AC;</fo:wrapper> 0,50 per min.)

On 08.02.2008 11:47:22 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> You didn't answer some of my questions. You can send me your FO and the
> PDF you generated from it to my mail address and I'll try to find out
> what's wrong.
>
> On 08.02.2008 10:43:41 Bennen, Jan A. wrote:
> > I am using Adobe Reader 8 and I am using &#x20AC as symbol.
> >
> > Met vriendelijke groet,
> > Jan Bennen
> > Support Engineer
> > Seneca Helpdesk
> >
> > Elektronicaweg 31
> > 2628 XG  Delft,  Nederland
> > T   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 77
> > F   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 01
> > E   support@seneca.nl
> > I    www.seneca.nl
> > Op dit mailbericht is onze disclaimer van kracht.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP 0.93 Euro symbol not displayed

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
You didn't answer some of my questions. You can send me your FO and the
PDF you generated from it to my mail address and I'll try to find out
what's wrong.

On 08.02.2008 10:43:41 Bennen, Jan A. wrote:
> I am using Adobe Reader 8 and I am using &#x20AC as symbol.
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
> Jan Bennen
> Support Engineer
> Seneca Helpdesk
>
> Elektronicaweg 31
> 2628 XG  Delft,  Nederland
> T   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 77
> F   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 01
> E   support@seneca.nl
> I    www.seneca.nl
> Op dit mailbericht is onze disclaimer van kracht.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: FOP 0.93 Euro symbol not displayed

Hmm, <fo:wrapper font-family="Symbol">&#x20AC;</fo:wrapper> works fine
for me to get the Euro character.

What PDF viewer are you using? I checked Acrobat and GhostView.

On 08.02.2008 10:18:01 Bennen, Jan A. wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
> I know that the Euro symbol is in the Symbol font. But where can I find this?

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/codegen/fonts/encodings.xml?view=markup

generated into CodePointMapping.java in build/gensrc/.... by our build.

> This font is one of the base14 fonts which are simply available in FOP.
> So why is the Euro symbol still not displayed correctly?

Either you try to replace the default Symbol font (see below) or the PDF
viewer you use does not have a glyph for the Euro character in the
Symbol font it uses.

> I read in the documentation that I have to manually change the XML font
> metrics file and specify "SymbolEncoding" encoding as the value for the
> "encoding" element. But where can I find this file?

Are you trying to replace the base14 font in your font configuration
perhaps? It's currently still problematic to replace the base14 Symbol
font.

> Regards,
> Jan Bennen
> Support Engineer
> Seneca Helpdesk
>
> Elektronicaweg 31
> 2628 XG  Delft,  Nederland
> T   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 77
> F   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 01
> E   support@seneca.nl
> I    www.seneca.nl
> Op dit mailbericht is onze disclaimer van kracht.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: FOP 0.93 Euro symbol not displayed

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hmm, <fo:wrapper font-family="Symbol">&#x20AC;</fo:wrapper> works fine
for me to get the Euro character.

What PDF viewer are you using? I checked Acrobat and GhostView.

On 08.02.2008 10:18:01 Bennen, Jan A. wrote:
> Thank you for your answer.
> I know that the Euro symbol is in the Symbol font. But where can I find this?

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/codegen/fonts/encodings.xml?view=markup

generated into CodePointMapping.java in build/gensrc/.... by our build.

> This font is one of the base14 fonts which are simply available in FOP.
> So why is the Euro symbol still not displayed correctly?

Either you try to replace the default Symbol font (see below) or the PDF
viewer you use does not have a glyph for the Euro character in the
Symbol font it uses.

> I read in the documentation that I have to manually change the XML font
> metrics file and specify "SymbolEncoding" encoding as the value for the
> "encoding" element. But where can I find this file?

Are you trying to replace the base14 font in your font configuration
perhaps? It's currently still problematic to replace the base14 Symbol
font.

> Regards,
> Jan Bennen
> Support Engineer
> Seneca Helpdesk
>
> Elektronicaweg 31
> 2628 XG  Delft,  Nederland
> T   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 77
> F   +31 (0)15 - 251 37 01
> E   support@seneca.nl
> I    www.seneca.nl
> Op dit mailbericht is onze disclaimer van kracht.

Jeremias Maerki

RE: FOP 0.93 Euro symbol not displayed

Posted by Tommy Nordgren <to...@comhem.se>.