Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2004/07/27 21:10:53 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 30793 - spamassassin/trunk/spamc

Re: svn commit: rev 30793 - spamassassin/trunk/spamc

Posted by Sidney Markowitz <si...@sidney.com>.
Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> Unfortunately had the raised warning level (I think Sidney increased the
> Windows /W-switch about that time, too) exactly the opposite effect :-/

I'm confused about whether "raised warning level" means more warnings or
fewer warnings :-). As I recall, what I did was the equivalent of first
adding -Wall and then turned off just a few specific warnings that are
annoying and can't be worked around. You may be remembering that second
step when you talk about the "opposite effect".

 > even though it produced probably a warning for Dallas and Nathan,
 > the initial size_t problem went on unnoticed

I'm in favor of building with the option to treat warnings as errors.
But that may be too radical for everyone :-)

  -- sidney

Re: svn commit: rev 30793 - spamassassin/trunk/spamc

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
"Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net> writes:

> Not in mine but seems like I was wrong ;-) Let's use bug 3599 to vote on
> this.

Given that I vetoed the change and gave what is a valid technical
objection, it really has to be reverted.  We can have a new vote on the
next patch.

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Re: svn commit: rev 30793 - spamassassin/trunk/spamc

Posted by "Malte S. Stretz" <ms...@gmx.net>.
On Tuesday 27 July 2004 21:10 CET Justin Mason wrote:
> Daniel Quinlan writes:
> > > bug 3599: Removed -Wall from the CFLAGS for now to make it compile
> > > with non-GCC compilers. The file configure.in is currently broken and
> > > needs some love for 3.1.
> >
> > -1 the cure is worse than the disease
> >
> > I think this is a bad idea, especially considering the problems we're
> > having with the spamc code, 99% of the sites compiling spamc use GCC
> > and we want -Wall for those.  Can you please revert this change?

Doh. To me this was a trivial fix as it doesn't have any impact on the code
itself. Proven wrong again ;-)

About the issue: The -Wall switch was added by me maybe a month ago, to
catch things like the ones discussed 3506.

Unfortunately had the raised warning level (I think Sidney increased the
Windows /W-switch about that time, too) exactly the opposite effect :-/

And even though it produced probably a warning for Dallas and Nathan, the
initial size_t problem went on unnoticed until the actual bug cropped up.

> Well, in my opinion we should ensure that the code can compile on
> all platforms using the default settings.  So:

ACK. What I planned to do was:
1. Remove that switch for 3.0.
2. Add some autoconf magic to the configure.in for 3.1 so that support of
the -Wall switch is detected.
3. Add also -Werror if supported.

The current behaviour (don't warn) is exactly the one we had for 2.x and all
warnings *we* see are gone. And obviously, nobody looks at the gcc warnings
when the whole bunch of make output scrolls over the screen.

>   - on non-gcc platforms it shouldn't use -Wall

For the initial 3.0 release I think its better to support people who compile
with non-gcc compilers (that UnixWare on or maybe the Intel compiler).

>   - on gcc, it should use -Wall by default *if it's possible to do that
>     easily*; [...]

The autoconf changes would be quite a large patch, not something I wanted to
do at this stage.

> there's another point here -- that change needed R-T-C voting, in my
> opinion.

Not in mine but seems like I was wrong ;-) Let's use bug 3599 to vote on
this.

Cheers,
Malte

--
[SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
      <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>

Re: svn commit: rev 30793 - spamassassin/trunk/spamc

Posted by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com>.
jm@jmason.org (Justin Mason) writes:

> there's another point here -- that change needed R-T-C voting, in my
> opinion.

I think I covered that, let's give Malte a chance here.  ;-)

Also, note that I explicitly vetoed the chance and gave a technical
reason along with that veto explaining why I feel the change needed to
be reverted.  It's first and foremost that it was a bad change to the
code in my opinion and second that it was non-trivial (which it was).

Daniel