Posted to users@ace.apache.org by Frank Langel <fr...@frankjlangel.com> on 2015/08/25 14:07:15 UTC

Any plans of adding version control

Hi,

Do we have any plans of adding version control to ACE?  Currently, we cannot
track and control any changes to the different versions of distributions or
features, making it difficult to manage user flow.  We especially have
difficulties merging multiple projects into one common runtime.

Secondly, we feel that ACE is lagging a little behind, are there commercial
offerings that  we could use instead?

Thanks a lot
Frank

Re: Any plans of adding version control

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
Hello Frank,
On 25 Aug 2015 at 14:11:01 , Frank Langel (frank@frankjlangel.com) wrote:

Do we have any plans of adding version control to ACE? Currently, we cannot
track and control any changes to the different versions of distributions or
features, making it difficult to manage user flow. We especially have
difficulties merging multiple projects into one common runtime.
There is version control for those. Every time you commit your changes to the server, a new version of the configuration is made. That is just linear version control though, not something with branches and merging.

Can you explain a bit about how you have multiple projects and one common runtime, because maybe we can figure out better ways of dealing with that.

Secondly, we feel that ACE is lagging a little behind, are there commercial
offerings that we could use instead?
Based on ACE or in general? Because the latter can be a long list, depending on how broad you look (even a platform like Steam could be considered an alternative). Feel free to take this discussion off-line with me if you want (to not go off-topic on this list).

Greetings, Marcel