Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/18 19:14:36 UTC

Proposal of pending tasks for beginners WAS: #187: Remove row count and results pagination from Dashboard (Was: Re: Trying to get started on Bloodhound development)

I've been reviewing All Tickets By Milestone [1]_ and maybe these
tickets are also good targets just to start .

#119 	Implement theme extensions code 	dashboard 	new 			enhancement
	major 	nobody 	Jun 28, 2012
#18 	Change message for self registration 	plugins 	assigned
			enhancement 	major 	nobody 	Aug 30, 2012
#95 	Display of owner in dashboard views should depend on the
availability of the field 	dashboard 	new 			enhancement 	major
	nobody 	Jun 29, 2012
#154 	Installer fails when providing repository type without a path
and vice versa 	installer 	new 			defect 	major 	gjm 	Aug 6, 2012
#123 	Check functionality of all screens with missing
Products/Versions/Milestones/Components 	dashboard 	new 			task 	major
	nobody 	Jul 13, 2012
--

and maybe this one (not scheduled for release 2 but definitely important ;)

#162 	Convert version control user interface to Bootstrap 	ui design
	assigned 			enhancement 	major 		Sep 3, 2012
--

It's just a suggestion . What do you think ?

Towards a more generic discussion I'd point out that maybe we should
have a custom field like «difficulty» highlighting prior expectations
of the skills needed to complete a task / close a ticket . A query
like difficulty=low|moderate could be used to find all such tickets
... and maybe even a link could be added in BloodhoundContribute as
well ;)

Of course , that should be setup starting from release 3 ... release 2
is almost done ;)

PS: Many things can be learned by reviewing patches submitted to the
isssue tracker as well . Most of the tickets assigned to user olemis
will have some . Those scheduled for Release 2 have been baked
«recently» ;)

.. [1] All Tickets By Milestone - report 6
       (https://issues.apache.org/bloodhound/report/6)

Re: Proposal of pending tasks for beginners WAS: #187: Remove row count and results pagination from Dashboard (Was: Re: Trying to get started on Bloodhound development)

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 09/21/2012 03:59 PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 21.09.2012 16:29, Olemis Lang wrote:
>> On 9/21/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>>> Could do but I am not sure that we should even list the higher priority
>>> work there. Would it put potential contributors off by making them feel
>>> that they would have more pressure on them when they are just finding
>>> their feet in the project?
>>>
>> ok , leave it out ... ;)
>> what about order by milestone due date , if set ? Would a similar
>> argument still be valid ?
> Contributors are, by definition, volunteers. They'll typically pick
> tasks in this order: a) things they find interesting/useful, b) things
> their employers want, c) things the project roadmap suggests. There's no
> way to force (c) before (a), so I see no good reason to try.
>
> -- Brane

Yeah, I don't want to be limiting contributors to a specific milestone.
I could see encouragement of those who become long term contributors to
work more on the current milestone but what I think is more likely to
happen is that more tickets that interest such contributors will start
to go into the current milestone.

New contributors should certainly be free to look at all the work and,
hopefully, we can help them to assess whether their choice of
interesting ticket is likely to rely on some other piece of work being
completed first.

With this list, I just want to see a sample of tickets, no particular
order and I'll avoid the temptation to restrict priority. At least for
now anyway.

Cheers,
     Gary

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

http://www.wandisco.com/subversion/download

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On 9/21/12, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> Could do but I am not sure that we should even list the higher priority
> work there. Would it put potential contributors off by making them feel
> that they would have more pressure on them when they are just finding
> their feet in the project?

ok , leave it out ... ;)
what about order by milestone due date , if set ? Would a similar
argument still be valid ?

> I also would prefer to not have the pagination - it is suffering from a
> similar problem to the pagination on the dashboard. Why would you want
> to show only 5 tickets at a time when you hit the query page view?

That's not something we can control afaics . It's not the widget what
you are embedding in there . You are using built-in TracQuery macro .
Notice that there's no Bootstrap styling in that table .

If we only had WidgetMacro installed in the issue tracker (/me hoping
this will happen after releasing 0.2.0 ;) then something like this
will make it look the way we want to

[[WidgetMacro(TicketQuery, max=5,
query='status=!closed&keywords=~starter&owner=nobody, max=5',
title=Tasks for beginners, _wo_altlinks=false)]]

... although in this case I'd include alt links so that people would
be able to subscribe to an RSS feed and be notified of new tasks for
beginners . That'd be nice to have in this case .

> Hmm, I have just thought of another alternative to dropping pagination
> if it affects this too. Perhaps it would be simpler to provide some kind
> of extension to the query language to limit the query to the first N
> tickets.

... if there's no such thing at the moment ... I don't recall

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article: